Hariyali Dal ( Cooking with 1 Teaspoon Oil)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 367 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 48858 times
Spinach and chana dal complement each other perfectly in this aromatic dish which is an excellent source of protein, iron, vitamin A and calcium. Try this dal with steamed brown rice or rotis. This is a good recipe for entertaining too!
- Combine the chana dal and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, asafetida and dried fenugreek leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green chillies, onions, ginger paste, garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the garam masala, coriander powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the spinach purée, milk and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the cooked dal, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
- For the spinach purée, blanch 3 cups of roughly chopped spinach, drain and then blend in a mixer to a smooth purée.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.