Dal Tadka, Punjabi Dal Tadka
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 213 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 513983 times
The Dal tadka is a regular feature for most of us while eating out at a Punjabi restaurant.
However few of us realize that this dish can be prepared with ease in your very own kitchen at nearly one-fifth the price.
Made with split red lentils this creamy, rich and smooth dal is tempered with Punjabi spices and ghee. It makes the perfect accompaniment to Cooked Rice or Rotis.
Enjoy how to make the Dal Tadka recipe with detailed step by step photos and video.
- Clean, wash and soak both the dals in water for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Add the soaked and drained dals, green chillies, garlic, ginger, turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles till the dals are cooked. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Remove the green chillies and discard them. Whisk so as to mash the dals. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally and lightly mashing with the back of the spoon.
- Add the cooked dal, mix well and bring to boil. Cook for 6-8 minutes on a medium flame while stirring occasionally.
- For the tempering, heat the ghee in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the red chilli, curry leaves, ginger and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Switch off the flame add chilli powder and mix well.
- Pour the tempering over the dal and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.