Khatti Mithi Dal with Vegetables
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 38 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 30042 times
Medley of vegetables cooked in sweet n sour dal to make your meal nutritious and interesting.
- Wash the tamarind, add the jaggery and ¼ cup of water and boil until the tamarind is soft. Pass this mixture through a sieve and keep aside.
- Clean, wash and drain the dals. Add 3½ cups of water and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Cool slightly and whisk well till smooth. Keep aside.
- Wash the vegetables and parboil them in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a non-stick sauce pan, add the mustard seeds, cloves, cinnamon, red chillies and chilli powder and fry for a few seconds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, dals and vegetables.
- Add the tamarind-jaggery water, turmeric powder and salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.