by Tarla Dalal
Added to 283 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 56940 times
Wonder why this paratha is called Jalebi Paratha when there is nothing sweet about it? Well, just have a look at the way it is rolled and you will understand why.
Indeed, this delectable paratha requires some deft handwork in rolling it, first like a Swiss roll, and then into a flat paratha.
Applying ghee between the layers gives a crisp and layered texture to this special paratha. Although it might seem a little tough on first try, you will get the hang of it very soon, and in fact, you will start enjoying the unique process.
Relish these Jalebi Parathas with a spicy accompaniment like Kadhai Paneer or Vegetable Kolhapuri .
- Combine the whole wheat flour, 2 tbsp ghee and salt, mix well and knead into a soft dough using enough lukewarm water.
- Divide the dough into 7 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 200 mm. (8”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Spread 1 tsp of ghee evenly over it.
- Sprinkle a little whole wheat flour evenly over it and spread it lightly.
- Fold from one end to the other to make pleats like a fan, while gently pressing them in between.
- Roll it over again from one end to the other end to form a swiss roll and seal the open end tightly at the bottom in the centre.
- Turnover the swiss roll so that the sealed side faces upwards and again gently roll into a 150 mm. (6”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the paratha, using a little ghee, till golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Remove on a plate and press it gently from the sides towards the centre to make the layers more visible in the paratha.
- Repeat steps 3 to 10 to make 6 more parathas.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per paratha
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.