Aloo Methi Parathas
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 582 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 217311 times
Packed with excitement; that describes the Aloo Methi Parathas best of all!
These sumptuous whole wheat parathas are stuffed with a delectable mixture of potatoes flavoured with fenugreek leaves, cumin seeds and spice powders, which makes them so tasty that they can be served straight and simple with just curd and pickles.
When the methi is sautéed, it sheds its bitterness, thereby imparting only its positive characteristics such as its strong aroma and unmistakable flavour to the dish. Indeed, this is a main course that will appeal to all!
Enjoy how to make Aloo Methi Parathas recipe with detailed step by step photos and video below.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal portions and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the fenugreek leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chaat masala and salt and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Divide the stuffing into 5 equal portions and keep aside.
- To make aloo methi parathas, roll out one portion of the dough into a 100 mm. (4") diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Place one portion of the aloo methi stuffing in the centre of the circle, bring together all the sides in the centre and seal tightly.
- Roll out again into a 150 mm. (6") diameter circle, using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the aloo methi parathas, using 1 tsp of oil, till golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat steps 1 to 4 to make 4 more parathas.
- Serve the aloo methi parathas hot with fresh curds or pickle.
Aloo Methi Paratha Video by Tarla Dalal
Aloo Methi Parathas recipe with step by step photos
Aloo Methi paratha
also known as Methi Aloo Paratha
is a great kids tiffin box option. Paratha
or stuffed paratha are sumptuous Indian flat-breads that can be relished with curd, pickle
, raita or even sabji. They can be as simple as the plain paratha
or something as filling as the aloo bhujiya paratha
or the lifafa paneer paratha
. Below are some of my favorite stuffed paratha recipes that you can relish for breakfast
For making the dough of aloo methi paratha, in a deep bowl, take 1 cup whole wheat flour.
Add 1 tsp oil . Oil can be substituted with ghee or butter. The fat helps in making soft parathas.
Add salt to taste.
Gradually add water to form a dough. The quantity of water will depend upon the quality of flour. Knead into a soft dough using enough water. We have used approx. 5 tbsp of water. Always while making stuffed paratha knead the dough little soft so it is easy to roll the parathas.
Divide the dough into 5 equal portions and keep aside.
For preparing the Methi aloo stuffing, take a bunch of methi leaves.
Firstly, we will clean and wash the Methi Leaves and separate the leaves from the stems.
Now chop the methi leaves finely and keep aside.
To begin making the aloo methi parathas, heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds.
When the seeds crackle, add the fenugreek leaves. Fresh methi leaves tastes the best but, if you don’t have them then add kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves.
Sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
Add the ginger-green chilli paste. You can also make use of finely chopped ginger-green chillies.
Add the turmeric powder and coriander powder.
Add the chaat masala. You can substitute it with amchur powder, anardana powder or lemon juice.
Add the salt, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
Add the potatoes.
Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
Divide the stuffing into 5 equal portions and keep aside.
To make the methi aloo paratha, take a portion of the dough and flatten them between the palms. Deep it in whole wheat flour nicely and remove the excess flour.
Roll out the dough into a 125 mm. (5") diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
Place one portion of the aloo methi stuffing in the centre of the circle.
Bring together all the sides in the centre. Seal the dough ball tightly.
Roll out again into a 150 mm. (6") diameter circle, using a little whole wheat flour for rolling. Roll it very lightly, if you press hard while rolling then the stuffing may come out from the sides of the paratha.
Place the stuffed aloo methi paratha gently on the hot tava. Cook one side of the paratha till you see small blisters on top of the paratha.
Flip the Aloo Methi paratha and cook a little. Drizzle 1 tsp oil around the paratha.
Flip the Aloo Methi paratha, press it lightly on the edges and cook the paratha well one one side.
Once the aloo methi paratha is cooked nicely on both sides, remove it on a plate.
Repeat steps 1 to 9 to make 4 more aloo methi paranthas.
Serve the aloo methi parathas (methi aloo paratha) hot with fresh curds or pickle.
If you enjoyed this stuffed aloo methi paratha recipe, then also try other stuffed parathas like Gobhi Paneer Palak Parathas, Hare Mutter Ke Parathe, Methi Paneer Paratha. Enjoy them for lunch or dinner smeared with a dollop of safed makhan.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per paratha
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.