Chaat Masala, Homemade Chaat Masala Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 379 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 120229 times
This masala is named so, because it is hard to imagine making Chaat without Chaat Masala!
With a unique blend of spicy, salty and sour flavours, just a dash of Chaat Masala is enough to add a peppy twist to all kinds of chaats and savoury snacks, ranging from Chaat / Bhel and more to Kebabs / Tikkis / Barbeques , Vadas and even Parathas .
The surprising thing about Chaat Masala is that unlike many other spice powders that have a long list of ingredients, Chaat Masala is made of just a few, everyday ingredients. It is perhaps the combination of these spices with black salt that gives it all the zing.
Here we show you how to make Chaat Masala the right way. Keep some handy in a jar, to sprinkle over curds, fruits, or just about any chaat or snack.
- Put the cumin seeds in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 1 minute. Transfer them on a plate and keep aside to cool for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine the roasted cumin seeds and black peppercorns in a small jar of a mixer and blend to a smooth and fine powder.
- Sieve the powder using a sieve and discard the little coarse mixture left behind in the sieve.
- Add the dried mango powder, black salt, salt and asafoetida and mix well using your fingertips for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Store refrigerated or at room temperature in an air-tight container.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per cup
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.