Top 15 Indian Mint Leaves, Pudina Recipes
uses of mint leaves in Indian cooking. uses of pudina. Mint is the common name for the plant Mentha. The plant lives throughout the year and gives the bright green leaves. These mint leaves have a certain bright freshness about them which makes them extremely unique in taste. For the use in food, fresh mint leaves are preferred over the dried variety. They give a cool aftertaste as well and that’s why are used in many chewing gums as well as mouth fresheners.
1. The fresh mint leaves are an ingredient in many South Asian foods, including Indian Cuisine, Thai and also some European and Middle Eastern Cuisines. A simple Indian recipe is Pudina Raita.
2. Mint leaves, due to their sweet, aromatic and cool taste, form a very important part of various beverages. These beverages may be served cold or hot, some being Minty Nimbu paani or a Lemongrass and Mint tea. Mint leaves are used in large amounts to make cool refreshing drinks like jaljeera.
Lemon Grass and Mint Tea
3. Mint leaves form a part of the most basic condiment of India, the Green Chutney. The variations to make this chutney are endless but mint is something that never changes. The pudina chutney is used as a dip for pakodas, in sandwiches or to eat with parathas.
Green Chutney, How To Make Green Chutney Recipe
4. The Spicy water that is used in Pani Puri is made with mint. This Pudina Pani is a combination of mint, coriander, ginger and chillies. This preparation is used all over the country to serve spicy and chatpata Pani Puris.
Pudina Pani for Pani Puri
5. The fresh leaves are made into a paste and used for marination of different vegetables before cooking them. A classic example is Pahadi Paneer Tikka Wrap.
Pahadi Paneer Tikka Wrap
6. Indian subzis use mint leaves to add a cool and fresh taste to the overall dish. Here, the fresh leaves can either be used as garnish or added to main gravy itself while cooking like done in Vegetable Hariyali.
7. Another brilliant way to use pudina is to make dips with it. They can be added to hummus for the unique taste or even can be simply added to curd to make a dip. Due to the cool aftertaste of mint, it is a favorite ingredient to be used in salads. You are sure to dwell into the taste of Watermelon Mint Salad.
Mint Watermelon Salad, Indian Style
8. As a garnish, torn mint leaves are sprinkled over or spread as a paste in flavor intensive biryanis like Qabooli Biryani. Not only that, prepared Green pastes and raw leaves are added to various rice preparations for the flavor like a Hariyali Mixed Sprouts Pulao or Thai Rice.
Hariyali Mixed Sprouts Pulao
9. These leaves are used to practice Ayurveda to treat indigestion and stomach aches. We have a specially designed Pudina Drink for Indigestion for you to soothe your stomach.
Pudina Drink for Indigestion, Weight Loss
10. Mint syrup or loose mint leaves used many a times as a garnish on alcoholic drinks. Mint syrup is the main ingredient in a cocktail called Grasshopper while fresh mint leaves are added to the classic Mojito.
11. Pudina leaves are a popular choice to add to different types of flatbreads like rotis and parathas. These parathas can either be made stuffed with chopped leaves or added to the dough itself. Try Pudina Paratha for as a unique refresing option.
Pudina Paratha, Mint Paratha
12. The combination of chocolate and mint is a classic one. Many a times mint extract is added to chocolate and sold. The strong flavor of the mint goes in ice cream like Chocolate Mint Ice Cream as well. Mint essence and syrups are often used to make edible jellies too.
Chocolate Mint Ice Cream
13. Mint leaves provide a very unique and different taste to many a soups. The flavor of mint goes very well with other greens like spinach and green peas like a Green Pea, Mint and Corn soup.
Minty Green Pea and Corn Soup
14. Chopped mint leaves are a garnish on cooked dishes such as dal and curries. As heat diminishes their flavor quickly, mint leaves are often used raw or added to the dish right before serving. Another Indian recipe using mint is Pudina Lassi.
Pudina Lassi, Mint Lassi, Indian Yogurt Mint Drink
15. They can also be added to tikkis or stuffed patties for that extra flavor for example the patty of the Chawli beans and Mint burger has fresh mint leaves added to it.
Chawli Beans and Mint Burger
To know about Recipes using Mint Leaves, check out our collection.