Chawli Beans and Mint Burger
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 34 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 20921 times
Did you always think of burgers as junk food, going by the commercial versions? A homemade burger can be a reservoir of nutrients if you use the right stuffing. Here, spongy whole wheat buns are packed with an iron-rich chawli bean tikki that is enchantingly flavoured with mint leaves and bound together by fibre-rich oats. With nutritious and tangy green chutney and sliced veggies too, this healthy Chawli Beans and Mint Burger is a meal in its own right.
- Mash the chawli beans in a deep bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and roll out each portion into a flat round tikki.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it using ½ tsp of oil. Place the tikkis on it and cook each tikki, using ¼ tsp of oil, till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides. Keep aside.
- Cut each burger bun horizontally into two. Apply ¼ tsp of butter on the insides of each half of the burger bun and toast them lightly on a tava (griddle).
- Apply 1 tsp of the healthy green chutney on the buttered side of all the bun halves.
- Place a lower half of the bun on a clean, dry surface with the buttered-chutney side facing upwards.
- Place a lettuce leaf, a chawli mint and bean tikki, 3 cucumber slices, 2 tomato slices and 1 onion slice over it and sprinkle a little salt and pepper evenly over it.
- Cover with an upper half of the bun with the buttered–chutney side facing downwards and press it lightly.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 to make 3 more burgers.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per burger
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.