Pav Bhaji ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 266 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 1249624 times
Pav bhaji is more than a mere snack! it’s a quick meal that can be grabbed on the go – since large potions of the bhaji are made in advance and simply reheated with a few spices before serving. You just need to wait till the pav is toasted to perfection with oodles of butter! hmm, top with the raw onions and tomatoes, squeeze a tad of lemon atop the bhaji, and forget yourself!
- Soak the red chillies in enough warm water for atleast an hour.
- Drain the chillies, add the garlic and blend in a mixer till smooth, adding little water. Keep aside.
- Heat the butter and oil in a kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the chilli-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the onions and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the capsicum and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, mash well using a potato masher.
- Add the salt, pav bhaji masala, chilli powder and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the green peas, potatoes, mix well and cook along with 1/3 cup of water for 1 to 2 minutes, while mashing it with the help of a masher.
- Add the coriander, mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Slit 2 pavs vertically and keep aside.
- Heat a large tava, add 2 tsp of butter and slit open the pavs and place on it.
- Cook on a medium flame till they turn light brown and crisp on both the sides. (add more butter if required).
- Place ¼th of hot bhaji, 2 pavs, ¼ cup of onions, a lemon wedge and a papad on a plate.
- Top the bhaji with 1 tsp of butter and serve immediately garnished with 1 tsp of coriander.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more plates.
- Pav bhaji masala is a spice blend, which is readily available under different brand names at most grocery stores.
Nutrient values per plate
|Vitamin A||819.6 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||49.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||27 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.