Qabooli Biryani, Hyderabadi Chana Dal Biryani
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 11 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3765 times
Qabooli Biryani is a unique Hyderabadi dish that is truly tongue-tickling! You can make this vegetarian version on a festival day or include it in a party menu as it is quite grand.
Here, rice is layered with spicy chana dal and laced with unique flavouring substances like saffron and rose water.
This gives the Qabooli Biryani a very different flavour and aroma, which combines the pungency of spices, the tanginess of curds and the richness of ingredients like saffron.
Although we usually associate rose water with mithai and not with savoury biryanis, you will find that it adds a special touch to this Qabooli Biryani. This special dish is a bit time-consuming, but definitely worth the effort.
You can also try your hand at making other biryanis like the Shahi Korma Biryani and the Minty Paneer Biryani .
- Wash and soak the rice in enough water for 2 hours, drain and keep aside.
- Combine the rice, salt, oil and enough water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Drain, transfer to a deep bowl, add the ghee and mix well. Keep aside.
- Wash and soak the chana dal in enough water for 2 hours, drain and keep aside.
- Combine the chana dal, turmeric powder, salt and enough water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Drain well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil and ghee in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions, ginger-garlic paste, cardamom and cinnamon and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala and cumin seeds powder and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Lower the flame, add the curds, mix well and cook for 30 seconds, while stirring continuously.
- Add the cooked chana dal and little salt, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- Combine the saffron and warm milk in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Take a deep non-stick pan or a handi, put ghee and cook on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Remove the pan from the flame, add half the rice and spread it evenly.
- Put half the chana dal mixture and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle half of the mint-coriander mixture evenly over it.
- Put half the saffron-milk mixture and 2 tbsp of rose water evenly over it.
- Repeat steps 3 to 6 to make 1 more layer.
- Place the deep non-stick pan or handi on a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook on a slow flame for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||303.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||4.8 mg|
|Folic Acid||23.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.