Pudina Pani for Pani Puri
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 2182 times
How many of you, after completing a round of pani puri, ask the roadside vendor for extra servings of the spicy phudina water – “Bhaiya, thoda teekha pani milega?” – and he happily obliges!
The best part about roadside pani puri is the spicy phudina water, the extra servings, and the inevitably watery eyes after that!
Recreate the same fun experience at home by making this easy-peasy Phudina Pani in your own kitchen. The refreshing, tongue-tickling mix of flavours in this recipe is sure to shake awake your taste buds.
The aroma of freshly ground mint and the interplay of spice powders is simply irresistible. This awesome spiced water also helps relieve indigestion, so it’s nice to have with or after a meal.
We have added a dash of jaggery to balance the flavours, but if you love spicy stuff, you can skip it. Store the Pudina Pani for Pani Puri in the fridge or in an earthen pot for some time, as it tastes best when mildly chilled.
You can also try other recipes like the Chocolate Pani Puri or Thai Pani Puri.
- Soak the tamarind in ½ cup of warm water for approximately half an hour. Strain out all the pulp through a sieve.
- Combine this pulp with the remaining ingredients except the black salt in a blender and grind to a fine paste using a little water (approximately 2 tbsp)
- Transfer the paste into a large bowl and combine with 1 ½ cups of water, the black salt and salt and mix well.
- If you find the water very spicy then add jaggery and mix well. Jaggery will balalnce the spice level making the pani sweet-spicy.
- Chill for at least 2 to 3 hours after making so that all the flavours have blended properly.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per cup
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.