Ragda Pattice ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 281 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 146885 times
Ragda Patties is an ever-popular snack served piping hot by the roadside food vendors of Mumbai. Aromatic, tasty and filling, this snack often doubles up as a meal for many.
This is basically potato patties drowned in ragda, a gravy with white peas and spices. Laced with chutneys and topped with crunchy sev, this chatpata snack is absolutely mouth-watering.
While it kindles your appetite with its tongue-tickling flavours, it is also filling enough to appease your hunger! Relish this awesome snack on Mumbai’s roadside on a wet monsoon day, surrounded by friends or family – it is truly an incomparable experience.
Add your private note
Ragda Pattice ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes ) recipe - How to make Ragda Pattice ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes )
Soaking time: 6 to 8 hours Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
8 hours 55 minutesMakes 4 servings
- Soak the safed vatana overnight or for atleast 6 to 8 hours.
- Drain the safed vatana and add 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 6 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the cooked safed vatana and sauté on a medium for 1 minute.
- Add the salt, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and chilli powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously using the back of your spoon.
- Add 2 tbsp of water and coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally and keep aside.
- Combine the potatoes, salt, ginger-green chilli paste and cornflour in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into a flat round.
- Make a depression in one round, place 1 tsp hari of chutney in the depression and again shape it into a round, thick pattice.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 7 more pattice.
- Heat and grease a non-stick tava (griddle) with ½ tsp of oil and cook all the pattice using a little oil till they turn golden brown in colour on both the sides. Keep aside.
- Place 2 prepared pattice on a serving plate and pour ¼th of the prepared ragda over it.
- Pour 1 tbsp meethi chutney, 1 tsp geeli lehsun ki chutney and 2 tsp hari chutney over it.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp onions, 1 tbsp papadi, 2 tbsp sev, ¼ tsp chilli powder and 2 tbsp coriander over it
- Serve immediately.
Ragda Pattice Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per plate
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.