Ragda Pattice ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 264 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 112397 times
Ragda pattice, the very sight of the ragda, heaped upon a simmering thali surrounded by the ghee-roasted pattice, is enough to stir up your digestive enzymes! place your order, and within a jiffy the vendor will get into action, placing steaming hot ragda in a plate, followed by the tasty pattice, chutneys, chopped onions, masala and coriander! truly a meal in itself!
- Soak the safed vatana overnight or for atleast 6 to 8 hours.
- Drain the safed vatana and add 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, turmeric powder, vatana, salt and 1 cup of water and mash the vatana slightly, using the back of a spoon.
- Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or till it thickens and keep aside.
- Combine the potatoes, cornflour, turmeric powder and ginger- green chilli paste and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into a flat round.
- Cook each pattice on a tava (griddle) using ¼ tsp of ghee till they turn brown on both the sides. Keep aside.
- Place ¼th of the hot ragda on a plate, add 3 tbsp of meetha chutney, 1 tbsp of teekha phudina chutney, 1 tsp of geela lehsun ka chutney and ¼ tsp of dry red masala and mix lightly.
- Flatten 2 pattice and place on the ragda mixture.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp of sev, 1 tbsp of onions, 1/4th of the crushed papdi and serve immediately garnished with 1 tsp of coriander.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more plates.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.