Shahi Korma Biryani
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 61 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 36708 times
Truly royal! unlike the traditional method of adding loads of cream, ghee etc. To make this “shahi” recipe, here we use low fat milk and zero-oil. You won’t know the difference… it tastes just as good! i have replaced cream with poppy seeds and cashewnut paste to impart the required richness and flavour. Poppy seeds also add calcium, iron, zinc and fibre.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice in water for 1 hour. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the pressure cooker and when hot, add the cloves, cardamom, bayleaf and cinnamom and dry roast on a slow flame for a few seconds.
- Add the rice, turmeric piwder and salt, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Soak the cashewnuts and poppy seeds in ¼ cup of warm water for 1 hour.
- Grind them in a mixer into a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan on a medium flame and when hot, add the cloves, cardamom and bayleaf and dry roast for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and dry roast on a slow flame till the onions turn light brown in colour. Sprinkle a little water over it if the mixture starts burning.
- Add the tomato purée, sugar and vegetables and mix well and cook on a medium flam for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared paste, 3½ tbsp milk and mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally. .
- Add the salt, chilli powder and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide the yellow rice into 2 equal portions.
- Spread one portion of the yellow rice at the bottom of the glass baking dish in an even layer.
- Discard the bayleaf and spread the shahi korma over it.
- Spread the remaining yellow rice over the shahi korma in an even layer.
- Pour the remaining 2 tbsp of milk over it.
- Cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes or bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.