Poppy seeds paste
Take 2 tbsp of poppy seeds or as per the recipe requirement, soak in approx. 1/4 cup water in a bowl for half an hour and then blend in a mixer along with the water to a smooth paste. Use as required.
Roasted poppy seeds
To roast poppy seeds, place them in a small non-stick pan over medium-high heat and stir constantly until fragrant. This would take about 2-3 minutes. Set aside to cool. Roasted poppy seeds are used to garnish breads and rolls, ground into sauces and pastry fillings, and added to vegetables and salad dressings. Turkish cuisine uses roasted poppy seeds extensively.
• Apart from being a source of fatty oil, poppy seeds are used in various cuisines.
• They are used in fruit salad dressings and fragrant yeast breads.
• Poppy seeds add a nutty flavour and texture to breads, cakes, cookies, pastries, curries, sweets, confectionary, pastry crusts, and pancake and waffle batters.
• Indian cookery uses only the cream coloured seeds as the grey ones affect the colour of the final product.
• Generally, in Indian cuisine, the seeds are soaked and ground – alone, or with other ingredients – to thicken and flavour vegetable preparations.
• Poppy seeds are cooked with jaggery and coconut, enveloped in a case of flaky pastry and deep-fried to make a delicious sweet called karanji.
• They are often sprinkled over unleavened Indian breads like naan for the exclusive flavour, aroma and texture they offer.
How to store poppy seeds, khus khus
• It is always best to store poppy seeds in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
Health benefits of poppy seeds, khus khus
Poppy seeds are a good source of certain nutrients like protein
. They are known to have a calming effect and cure insomnia when consumed with milk. However, always remember that they contain opium compounds which are narcotic and can cause great harm if used without proper advice and precautions. Consuming large quantities for a long time might lead to dependency on it. It should be not given to infants, children and pregnant ladies.