13 Super Health Benefits of Almonds (Badam) + Healthy Recipes
If it’s a perfect crunch that you seek from you garnish, then look no further than almonds. An ideal nut to add to Indian sweets and baked foods like cookies and cakes, almond lends a pleasant taste and invigorating crunch to anything it’s added to. Not just as a garnish, almonds can also be used as the main ingredient to make Indian sweets and beverages. But, best of all, it can just be enjoyed as such – plain, roasted or salted. If you have ever wondered why people all over the world use so much of almonds, it is probably because its great taste is coupled with loads of health benefits too. Let’s find out more about this treasure-trove of nutrients…
1. Brain health : Almonds is the powerhouse of innumerous health benefits. Almonds are rich in B complex vitamins such as Vitamin B1, Thiamine , Vitamin B3, Niacin and Folate, Vitamin B9 which plays an important role in the brain development especially during the first 2 years of life. Additionally it is also rich in manganese which is a very important mineral for brain and nerve functioning. It is known to improve your concentration and memory. Try Avocado Almond Milk Smoothie.
2. Balances your cholesterol levels : Almonds are extremely rich in antioxidant flavonoids that pair up with Vitamin E and scavenges free radicals that causes inflammation. Thus prevents oxidation of LDL cholesterol. Hence almonds have a strong property of lowering the LDL cholesterol. It also aids in increasing good cholesterol levels. It is also known to reduce HDL cholesterol. The balance between LDL and HDL cholesterol is very crucial to maintain healthy blood cholesterol levels. Try almonds in the form of Almond Bhakri
3. Good for Heart : Almonds is an extremely rich source of MUFA which improves your overall heart health. Vitamin E, a potent antioxidant helps prevent the accumulation of plaque in the arteries. In general, walnuts, almonds, pistachios and pine nuts are a healthy snack to carry keep with you as they are rich in monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats. Almonds have Phosphorus which works with B vitamins to maintain normal heart rate. Always remember to have your nuts in moderation to minimize other complications. Once a week you can have half glass of Healthy Peanut Butter Blueberry Almond Milk Smoothie.
Healthy Peanut Almond Milk Oatmeal, for Breakfast
4. Control Diabetes : Almonds is known to be the best and ideal choice for diabetics. This is because almonds have a very low glycemic index which do not let your blood sugar levels spike up immediately. Almonds is the perfect combination of good quality fats (MUFA) and very low carbohydrates. Being a good source of fiber, almonds also aids in slow digestion and maintains your blood sugar levels. Having very low magnesium will result in the pancreas not secrete enough insulin to control our blood sugar levels. Almonds are known to improve insulin response thus reducing insulin resistance. Have a small handful of almonds and enjoy it as a healthy soup - Broccoli and ALmond Soup.
Broccoli and Almond Soup, Protein Rich Recipe
5. Breast Cancer : Studies show that Almonds, Peanuts and Walnuts consumption reduced the risk of Breast Cancer. Try almonds in the form os Almond Soup.
Almond Soup, Badam Soup, Badam Ka Soup
6. Good for Bones : A handful of Almonds has 24% of your daily Magnesium and 35% of Manganese requirements. Magnesium helps in formation of bones and teeth and metabolism of calcium and potassium. Try pure Homemade Almond Milk.
Almond Milk, Homemade Pure Almond Milk
7. Good for Weight Loss : Presence of MUFA and fiber in almonds helps to get better results when you are on weight loss diet plan, as they will help you feel satiated for a longer period of time. Thus controls your appetite.
A handful of almonds provides around 100 calories. Even if almonds is a nut high in calories, it doesn’t seem to contribute much in weight gain when eaten in moderate amounts. Several studies confirmed that frequently consuming almonds and other nuts maintain healthier body weights and lowers the risk of obesity. Thus boost ups your overall metabolism. Try Almond Berry and Coconut Cake.
Almond Berry and Coconut Cake, For Fitness and Weight Loss
8. Makes you fitter : Almonds are rich in Arginine, an essential amino acid which helps to relax your blood vessels and enable smooth flow of blood resulting in more oxygen and nutrients to your muscles. More oxygen, more energy for Athletes to enhance performance and also for day to day activities. Athletes can opt for Almond Butter.
Homemade Almond Butter
9. Good for Skin and Hair : Almonds are very rich in Vitamin E which increases the moisture and flexibility of your skin. By keeping your skin healthy, it makes you look younger and feel better. It also helps treat sun burn. Being a powerful antioxidant, it reduces damage to the hair. Vitamin E rich oils retain moisture in the scalp and prevent dryness. Combine almonds and avocado - 2 vitamin E rich ingredients in Almond and Avocado Toast for radiant skin and bouncy hair.
Almond and Avocado Toast, Toasted Almond Bread Topped with Avocados
10. Ensures proper growth and development of the baby during pregnancy : Almonds helps in fighting inflammation and helps in proper development and growth of the child by building healthy cells. You can sip on Alomd Honey Cinnamon Milk. The earlier the sources of vitamin E are consumed the better it is for the developing fetus. Sometimes pregnant women are supplemented with vitamin E capsules.
Almond Honey Cinnamon Milk, Healthy Vegan Breakfast Recipe
11. Keeps Acidity in check : Almonds are rich in Phosphorus which acts as a buffer – helps to neutralize the acids and maintain pH levels in the body. Try Almond Banana Smoothie - a sugar free drink.
Almond Banana Smoothie
12. Treats Anaemia : Being rich in the most important mineral iron, almonds help treat Anaemia by enabling the development of Red Blood Cells. Try Date and Almond Balls.
Date and Almond Balls
13. Rich in Protein : A handful of Almonds gives us 10% of our daily Protein requirements and a great source for Vegetarians. Proteins in the form of Almond Flax Bread are critical to manage the wear and tear of all cells of the body.
Almond Flax Bread with Eggs, Gluten Free
Nutrional Information of Almonds
28 grams of Almonds or a mixture of Nuts like Walnuts, Cashew,
Peanut, Pistachio and Pine nuts are recommended per day.
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Nutritional Information for 28 grams ( 1 ounce) of Almonds.
5.82 grams of Protein
2.94 grams of Carbs
16.4 grams of Fat
3.4 grams of Fiber
7.3 mg of Vitamin E = 48.6% of RDA (about 15 mg)
Look here for more information on Almonds Nutrition.
Top 12 Healthy Almond Recipes
Almond is a super food and we have made a collection of helathy almond recipes where a significant amount of Almonds are used. We have ground the Almonds into Almond Butter which is super healthy and no added sugar. Just a tad but of coconut oil is added which is an excellent MCT. Then lots of our recipes are using homemade Almond Milk which is super easy to make and ZERO sugar added. Its Almonds plus water.
Enjoy our collection of breakfast Oat based recipes with Almond milk like Peanut Almond Milk Oatmeal and Apple Cinnamon Oats recipe with Almond Milk.
Apple Cinnamon and Oats Recipe with Almond Milk, Vegan Breakfast
No better way to substitute your white bread toast or brown bread toast with the classic Homemade Almond Bread which is super for health and gluten free. With the Almond bread you can make an Almond Avocado Toast drizzled with olive oil. For smoothies, this antixoidant rich Blueberry Green Almond Milk Smoothie from which you get your Vitamin C, Manganese and Fiber.
Blueberry Green Almond Milk Smoothie, Powerful Antioxidant Smoothie
For a healthy snack, i love the flavoured Saffron Cardamom Almond Milk which i keep in the fridge and stays good for 2 to 3 days, so make a larger batch. For dessert there is Almond Berry Coconut Cake and no bake Almond Coconut Bars. Both have made of 2 super ingredietnts., Almonds + Coconut.
Saffron Cardamom Almond Milk, Healthy Vegan Breakfast Recipe