Rice and Moong Dal Idli
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 332 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 160809 times
Rice and Moong Dal Idli is a variant of the most popular South Indian snack, Idli, which is traditionally made with rice and urad dal. The well-tested proportions of rice and green moong dal used in this recipe result in a pleasant texture, taste and colour, which will be loved by all your family members. It is a nutritious, protein-rich idli, further enhanced with vitamin-rich vegetables.
- Soak the rice, moong dal and fenugreek seeds in a deep bowl with enough water for 5 to 6 hours.
- Drain and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using little water.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl, add the carrots, spring onion whites and greens and salt and mix well.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt to the batter and pour 2 tsp of water over it.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Put a little batter into each greased idli mould and steam in a steamer for 10 minutes or till the idlis are cooked.
- Cool slightly, demould and serve immediately with nutritious green chutney.
- The idli is done when a toothpick or a knife inserted in its center comes out clean.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per idli
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.