by Tarla Dalal
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 14233 times
This easy-to-make Multiflour Idli has a fabulous, rustic flavour and interesting texture that you will enjoy thoroughly at any time during gestation.
A batter of soaked and ground urad dal combined with wholesome flours like bajra, nachni, etc., gives us perfect idlis that replenish your calcium stores and give you good quality protein as well. Enjoy these idlis hot and fresh, right out of the steamer, because they might get a little hard upon cooling.
- Combine the urad dal and fenugreek seeds in a deep bowl and soak it in enough water for 2 hours.
- Drain well and blend in a mixer till smooth using approx. ¾ cup of water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the bajra flour, jowar flour, ragi flour, whole wheat flour, salt and approx. 1¾ cups of water and mix very well using a whisk. Cover with a lid and keep aside to ferment overnight.
- After fermentation, mix the batter well once again and pour spoonfuls of the batter into greased idli moulds.
- Steam in an idli steamer for 10 minutes or till they are cooked.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more idlis.
- Serve immediately with sambhar.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per idli
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.