14 Uses of Bread, Popular Indian Bread Recipes
Bread is hands down the most baked product in the world. It is essentially a mixture of flour, water, yeast, salt and sugar. There are so many types of breads available in the world which use different flours, different leavening agents and different ways of making as well. Out of all the breads the most famous and common one is white bread which is either sold as a loaf or as slices.
1. Sliced bread loaves are most commonly used to make sandwiches. Not only these, but even other types of breads like Panini bread and French bread are used to make different types of sandwiches. These sandwiches can have fillings like vegetables, cheese, jam, proteins etc.
They can also be made in various styles: toasted or grilled, open toasts, hot dog rolls, submarines, etc. The most common sandwich in Indian cuisine is a simple Vegetable Sandwich.
Vegetable Sandwich ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes )
2. Bread is a good accompaniment for soups. These breads are usually in the form of bread rolls, Grissini sticks (bread sticks)
3. Bread buns are used as a base for burgers. Burgers are an American food item where different patties are put between the buns with different dressings and lettuce, and then eaten as a whole. Burger buns are usually sprinkled with poppy seeds or sesame seeds. Another similar type of bread is Bagel which is a little harder with a hole in the center.
Paneer and Corn Burger
4. Simple sliced bread can be easily turned into crunchy croutons. Just butter a few slices of bread and rub some garlic on each slice, cut into cubes and fry them in oil or bake in the oven till crisp. This is how basic croutons are made but they can be flavored with cheese and herbs as well. These croutons are predominantly used in Tomato Soup and salads like Caesar Salad with romaine lettuce, parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, black pepper etc.
Croutons, Pan Toasted Crouton Recipe
5. Indian equivalent of burger buns are Ladi pavs.
These pavs are used in many ways, either served alongside a Spicy Misal or served stuff with a spicy aloo filling in Vada Pav.
Vada Pav, Mumbai Roadside Recipe
6. Bread, in the form of crumbs, is used as a coating for tikkis, patties etc. Such patties are first rolled in bread crumbs and then deep-fried like Pasta Cheese balls. Bread crumbs are also sometimes used for thickening a few sauces and some bhajiya mixtures.
Pasta Cheese Balls
7. Sliced bread can be turned into fantastic little tartlets by baking them. These tartlets can be filled with many toppings like a Mexican Tartlet.
Mexican Bread Tartlets
8. Bread also makes wonderful koftas. Break the bread into tiny pieces, add different ingredients like curd, chillies, ginger and other things, mix together and deep fry to get quick Bread koftas.
Bread Koftas in Pumpkin Curry ( Healthy Subzi)
9. Croissants are a flaky type of French bread which are soft and melt in mouth. Whether plain or stuffed with cream and jam, it tastes amazing.
Homemade Soft French Bread
10. Bread is used to make Paninis - an Italian specialty where Ciabatta bread is sliced and then stuffed with vegetables and cheese and then grilled. Try the Tomato Basil Mozzarella Panini.
Tomato Basil Mozzarella Panini
11. Pita bread is a Lebanese flatbread that is grilled and served along with hummus, a chickpea dip. Hollowed pita bread is stuffed with falafel balls to make delicious Falafels.
12. Bread dough can be stuffed with a creamy sauce cooked with vegetables like sweet corn, mushrooms, potatoes, herbs and / or cheese, and then baked – to make a great mid-day snack. A classic Indian snack is Baked Vada Pav.
Baked Vada Pav / How To Make Baked Vada Pav
13. Sliced bread is used to make sweets like Bread Butter Pudding which is an English dish.
Bread and Butter Pudding, Eggless Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe
Even fancy Indian sweets like Gulab Jamun can be made easier by using bread instead of khoya.
Bread Gulab Jamun Recipe, Quick Indian Sweet
14. Sliced breads can replace other doughs and coverings. Stuff the samosa filling into soft sliced breads, deep fry and there you have a Bread Samosa.
Bread Samosa Recipe, Baked Samosa
To know about Recipes using Bread, check out our collection.