Bread Loaf, Basic White Bread Loaf Using Yeast
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 291 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 96978 times
Bread is an indispensable ingredient in most kitchens today. From toast to sandwiches, bread is handy in solving the perpetual breakfast and tiffin dabba dilemmas that most people face on busy mornings. However, nothing tastes as good as freshly-baked bread, and so people often buy bread on a daily basis along with their milk.
Nevertheless, even this bread is bound to be a day or at least a few hours old. If you wish to really experience the magic of freshly-baked bread, right off the oven, try our easy Basic White Bread Loaf recipe when you find time. You will be bowled over by the appetizing aroma, super-soft texture and absolutely divine flavour of warm bread.
Use this fresh bread loaf to make delectable sandwiches and toasts like Cabbage and Paneer Sandwich , Cheesy Mushroom Squares , Cheese-N-Celery Sandwiches , Grilled Corn and Capsicum Sandwich , Mixed Vegetable Open Toast etc.
- Combine the yeast, sugar and ¼ cup of warm water in a bowl and mix well. Cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the plain flour, salt and yeast-sugar mixture in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft and loose dough using enough warm water.
- Add the butter and knead very well till the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a proper round using both your hands while tucking the edges at the bottom.
- Cover it with a dry muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place to use for 45 minutes or till the dough is double in size.
- Deflate the dough by pressing it lightly with your fingers.
- Sprinkle the plain flour over a smooth, flat surface, place the dough over it and knead it very well. If the dough is getting sticky while kneading, then sprinkle little plain flour as required.
- Stretch the dough using both the hands and knead well again.
- Tap the dough with your fingers and spread it to make a 250 mm. X 200 mm. (10” x 8”) diameter oval shape.
- Roll the dough to make a 200 mm. (8”) long cylindrical roll and pinch the edge of the rolls so as to seal it properly.
- Place the dough in a greased bread loaf tin. Cover it with a dry muslin cloth and again keep aside in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 180°c (360°f) and bake it for 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
- De-mould the loaf from the tin and brush the bread loaf with butter and keep aside to cool completely.
- Once the bread loaf has cooled completely, cut it into 13 mm. (½“) bread slices.
- Serve or use as required.
Bread Loaf Video, Eggless White Bread Loaf Recipe by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per slice
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.