Pita Bread, Lebanese Whole Wheat Pita Bread
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 82 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 84275 times
A popular bread from Mediterranean cuisine, Pita Bread can be had as it is with Hummus or used to make tasty dishes like Falafel .
Take care to dissolve the yeast well in warm water, because it will not get activated if you use cold or hot water. At the right temperature, yeast will get activated and you will see tiny bubbles on top of the water after you let it rest for a few minutes.
Likewise, it is also important to use olive oil to make Pita Bread, as it gives a mild but characteristic aroma to the bread.
- Combine the dry yeast, sugar and 2 tbsp of water in a bowl and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside for 5 minutes or till the dry yeast completely dissolves in the water.
- Combine all the ingredients along with the yeast-water mixture in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and allow it to prove for 30 minutes or till the dough doubles in volume.
- Knead the dough to remove the excess air.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal portions and roll out each portion into an oblong of 175 mm. (7”) length and 6 mm. (¼”) thickness using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the pita bread on a medium flame for 1 minute on both the sides or till small blisters are seen.
- Then, cook it on an open flame till it puffs up and brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Cut each pita bread into 2 halves horizontally and use as required.
Nutrient values per pita bread
|Vitamin A||37.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||9.7 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.