Bread and Butter Pudding, Eggless Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 329 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 149036 times
Bread and butter pudding is a popular, easy-to-make British dessert. It also happens to be a hot favourite at Mumbai’s Irani restaurants.
You start by making a custard-like sauce, pour it over bread, top it with raisins and nuts, sprinkle a bit of brown sugar and butter to get crunchy coat, and bake it to get a soothing, warm pudding !
- Remove the crust from the bread slices, apply ½ tsp of butter on one side of each slice and cut each slice into 2 to 3 strips.
- Arrange the bread strips with the buttered side facing up on a greased 200 mm. (8') diameter oven-proof glass dish. Keep aside.
- Combine the cornflour and sugar along with ¼ cup of warm milk in a deep bowl and mix well till the sugar melts. Keep aside.
- Boil the remaining 1¾ cups of milk on a slow flame and gradually add the cornflour-sugar mixture, while stirring continuously so that no lumps remain.
- Add the vanilla essence, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 5 minutes or till the sauce thickens and becomes smooth, while stirring continuously. Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Sprinkle the walnuts and raisins on the bread strips and pour the sauce evenly over them.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly on top and pour the melted butter evenly over it.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (350°f) for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with nutmeg powder.
- Since the pudding is served in the same dish in which it is baked, use a glass dish and not an aluminium baking dish.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.