Last Updated : Oct 14,2022
Viewed 32659 times
Description of Brown sugar Brown sugar is made by coating crystals of sucrose with molasses. A small percentage of invert sugar may be present. The molasses give it a delicate flavour and delicious aroma. Brown sugar has large, clear sparkling crystals with a moist texture. Light and dark are the two most common styles of brown sugar. The light variety contains around 3.5% molasses while the dark variety has around 6.5%. In general, the lighter the brown sugar the more delicate the flavour. Very dark or old-fashioned brown sugar has a more intense flavour of molasses.
Named after the Demerara area of Guyana, the coarse-grained Demerara sugar is a variety of brown sugar. It is partially-refined raw sugar containing some residual impurities. The colour of Demerara sugar varies from golden brown to dark brown, with a strong dark molasses flavour.
How to Select Brown sugar • Brown sugar is available in many varieties. Choose the appropriate one as desired.
• Check the packaging date.
• Ensure that it is dry and has no moisture.
• Rustle the packet – free movement of sugar and dry granules indicates freshness and quality.
11 Uses of Brown Sugar Brown sugar is a type of sugar that is a mix of sucrose and molasses. They are found either dark brown to light brown in color as the sugar crystals are coated in molasses which basically means that darker the sugar, the more molasses it has. Brown sugar is used in desserts and baked goods to give them more flavor.
1. Brown sugar is a very common ingredient in baking. It is used as a sweetener which provides a slight caramel taste to the baked good. It can be used in cakes, puddings and even pies as it provides a more moist result. A few baked goods with brown sugar are Chocolate Cookies and Muffins.
2. Due to the crumbly texture of brown sugar, it is commonly out as a topping over puddings and cobblers to get a nice bubbly yet crunchy top when baked.
3. Powdered brown sugar can be put over oatmeal and cereals to enhance their taste while adding a sweetness to it. Muesli balls are combination of healthy cereal and brown sugar combined to form delicious a snack.
For complete uses of Brown sugar read this article.
How to Store Brown sugar • Transfer brown sugar that comes in a box to a heavy plastic bag or a rustproof, airtight container and seal well. This will make it last indefinitely.
Health Benefits of Brown sugar • It is less refined and hence nutritionally better than regular sugar.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.