Bread Koftas in Pumpkin Curry ( Healthy Subzi)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 249 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 43984 times
The best way to impress somebody is to make something healthy, unusual and exotic. Now, if such a dish is also easy to prepare, like these Bread Koftas in Pumpkin Curry, it suits you too! Made with whole wheat bread and low-fat curds, these koftas are made healthier by steaming them instead of deep-frying. The mouth-watering gravy too is quite healthy as it is made with vitamin A rich pumpkin instead of fat-laden cream or coconut. The addition of low-fat curds enhances the gravy further with its tang and texture along with calcium.
- For the bread koftas
- 1. Remove the crust from the bread slices and crumble the bread into very small pieces.
- 2. Combine the curds and bread in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- 3. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- 4. Divide the mixture into 18 equal portions and shape each portion into a small round ball.
- 5. Steam the koftas in a steamer for 10 minutes. Keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes and ½ cup of water in a deep non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occassionally. Allow it to cool completely and blend in a mixer to a smooth pulp. Keep aside.
- Combine the red pumpkin and 1 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes or till the pumpkin is cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Combine the pumpkin paste and curds in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the onion paste and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, turmeric powder and garam masala and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the pumpkin-curds mixture, prepared tomato pulp, sugar and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the green peas and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 1 minute, while stirring once in between. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, add the prepared bread koftas to the pumpkin curry, mix gently and bring to boil.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.