Toasted whole wheat bread slices
Toasted whole wheat bread refers to sliced bread cooked on an open flame or a conventional toaster to get a warm and crisp slice of bread. To toast whole wheat bread slices, place the bread slices on a hot tava or pan and roast till they turn crisp and golden brown from both the sides. You can also toast them using little amount of butter or oil. Toasting bread not just makes it crisp and tasty, but also allows toppings to stay securely on the toasted slice without getting moist. It is also a common method to cook stale bread. Toasted whole wheat breads can be used in variety of dishes like sandwiches and toasts. They can also cut into croutons and added to soups and broths.
• A whole wheat bread loaf can be thinly or thickly sliced as per recipe requirement. Maintain or discard the crust during slicing.
• Sliced whole wheat bread loaves are most commonly used to make sandwiches with various fillings like vegetables, shredded chicken, salami, cheese, jam, etc. They can also be made in various styles: toasted or grilled, open toasts, hot dog rolls, submarines, etc.
• Whole wheat bread is a good accompaniment for soups. These breads are usually in the form of bread rolls, Grissini sticks etc.
• Whole wheat bread, when baked into buns, acts as a base for burgers. Burger buns are usually sprinkled with poppy seeds or sesame seeds.
• Butter a few slices of whole wheat bread and rub some garlic on each slice. Cut into cubes and bake in the oven till crisp. Use as croutons for soups. These can also be flavoured with herbs, cheese etc.
• Bread dough can be stuffed with a creamy sauce cooked with vegetables like sweet corn, mushrooms, herbs and cheese, and then baked – to make a great mid-day snack.
• You can roll bread dough thinly and then top with poppy seeds, sesame seeds etc. Cut into thin strips or into triangles and then bake till golden brown and crisp. These strips can be used as crackers or as a garnish for salads.
How to store whole wheat bread, gehun ka bread
• It is better to consume whole wheat bread fresh. However, if you wish to store it for longer, cover in plastic film, place in a bread box and store under refrigerated conditions. Try and use as soon as possible.
• Alternatively, grind into bread crumbs or cube and deep-fry to make bread croutons, which can be stored in an airtight container for few days.
• Bread that is kept in warm or moist conditions is prone to mould. So avoid such environments.
Health benefits of whole wheat bread, gehun ka bread
Well, the use of bread is relative and individualistic. Whole wheat bread
is a slightly better choice than white bread made from refined plain flour
. Compared to maida-based bread which is surely to be avoided, the bread made with whole wheat grain that is milled or with whole wheat flour
is a healthier alternative. Whole wheat bread has more fiber than the white bread, which helps in maintaining blood sugar and blood cholesterol levels
in a better way . However both the varieties of bread are almost at par in their carb count. So moderation is the key here.