Last Updated : Sep 29,2017
Viewed 13015 times
Also Known As
Sweet Meal Biscuit
It is a large-diameter biscuit with a crumbly texture, which most people find quite appealing. It has a rich, nutty flavour with a hint of sweetness from the included sugar. The typical digestive biscuit contains coarse brown wheat flour (which gives it its distinctive texture and flavour), partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, whole meal, cultured skimmed milk, partially-inverted sugar syrup, raising agents, sugar and salt.
How to Select
Several brands of digestive biscuit in various pack sizes are easily available in the market. Choose a brand you prefer, and a small or large pack size according to your requirement. Check on the manufacturing as well as expiry dates, to ensure freshness.
• It tastes delicious either plain or with any kind of cheese or jam.
• Some people enjoy dunking digestive biscuits in tea or coffee to soften them slightly before consuming them.
• They can also be pulverized to make cracker crusts for recipes like cheesecakes.
How to Store
• Once opened, store in an airtight container at room temperature.
• Avoid air or moisture exposure as it might lose its crispiness and could become sticky too.
• Once opened, it will stay good for 2 to 3 weeks.
• They are high in refined carb sugars and high on the Glycemic Index, which means they can cause a rapid rise in blood-glucose levels, leading to excessive insulin production and a sudden drop in blood sugar.
• The fibre content is very good as it uses all whole meal and also some have husks of the grain.
Crushed digestive biscuit
The biscuits are crushed either with hand or by placing them in a cloth and pounding them with a hammer for a few seconds. The latter procedure tends to impart a finer crushed product than the former.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.