Baked Doodhi Kofta Curry
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 193 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 100005 times
Make a note of the tomato gravy used in this recipe, as it is a versatile base that combines well with a wide range of veggies and koftas. However, serving the gravy with these special doodhi koftas gives it a healthy twist because they are steamed and not deep-fried. The Baked Doodhi Kofta Curry is loaded with iron and folic acid, and is a wonderful food for mothers-to-be and young kids too.
- Squeeze out all the extra water from the bottle gourd and discard it.
- Combine all the ingredients, including the bottle gourd, in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions, shape each portion into a round ball and steam in a steamer for 8 to 10 minutes. Keep aside.
- Boil a vesselful of water and immerse the tomatoes in it for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Drain, peel the tomatoes and blend in a mixer till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), add the red chillies and coriander seeds and dry roast on a medium flame for 30 seconds. Cool slightly and blend them in a mixer to a coarse powder. Keep aside.
- Combine the cornflour and milk in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai, add the green chillies, ginger-garlic paste and prepared red chilli-coriander seed powder and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the prepared tomato pulp, ¾ cup of water, sugar and salt, mix well and bring to boil.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander powder and cornflour-milk mixture and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 more minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, add the doodhi koftas to the curry, mix gently and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.