Benefits of Celery, Ajmoda
Belonging to the Apiaceae plant family with the scientific name is Apiumgraveolens, celery is known for its stalks followed by leaves. Celery is called Ajmoda in India. It has a notably low calorie count along with an impressive list of nutrients which have myriad health benefits.
Quite popular in Continental and Chinese cuisine, you will find it as a part of soups, salads, starters and even sauces. It is quite often used as a garnish too. It’s crunch and the nutrition fact is the main attraction which makes it an indispensable addition to our meals.
12 Health Benefits of Celery
1. Reduces Inflammation & Manifestation of Chronic Diseases : The flavonoid like quercetin and polyphenols that celery possess are known to reduce oxidative stress caused due to free radicals. These free radicals are produced in our body due to stress and other factors like smoking and pollution. If not warded off, they cause inflammation in the body which in turn can lead to other chronic diseases like cancer, heart disease, arthritis etc.
2. Assist in Weight Loss : A stick of celery provides just about 1 calorie which is incomparable as a ‘Low Calorie Food’ to any other food ingredient in vegetable category. Many people enjoy celery as a snack to keep them full for long hours. Try it out!
3. Fights Cancer : Antioxidants like apigenin and luteolin present in celery has been known to inhibit the growth of cancer cells. Celery also contains vitamin C, a potent antioxidant, which builds white blood cells as a defense to kill cancer cells in their growing stage.
4. Boosts Immune System : The vitamin C is highly efficient in building an overall strong immune system. Eating vitamin C rich foods helps stave off common infections like cold and cough too.
5. Prevents Liver Diseases : Celery helps to cleanse the liver. Vitamin C, vitamin A, iron and all other antioxidants facilitate the removal of toxins from the body.
6. Reduces Blood Cholesterol : Celery contains a unique compound namely butylphthalide (BuPh) which has been known to show lipid lowering action. It helps reduce the total blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels, thus reducing the clogging of arteries and chances of stroke.
7. Improves Vision : Vitamin A is a key nutrient for perfect vision and reducing the onset of age related cataract. A cup of celery after chopping provides around 10% of day’s vitamin A requirement.
8. Aids Digestion : This credit goes to its fiber count and percentage of water it has within it. These two work together to add bulk to stools and assist in its easy passage thus helping overcome constipation.
9. Controls Diabetes : Diabetics too can include this vegetable to their diet. Its low carb count, low glycemic index, negligible fats and high fiber contribute to maintain healthy levels of blood sugar levels.
10. Prevents Ulcers : The flavonoids and antioxidants present in celery are its beneficial constituents. They help nourish the digestive tract and prevent ulcers of stomach, colon and intestine.
11. Shows Calming Effect : The magnesium and calcium present in celery showcase the calming effect on nerves, thus relieving you of stress.
12. Controls Elevated Blood Pressure : Potassium and its active compound phthalides have shown positive effects in controlling blood pressure. Moreover fiber is an additional boost to keep blood pressure within normal limits.
Nutritive Information for Celery :
1 Cup of raw celery is about 102 grams
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy - 18 calories
Protein – 0.8g
Carbohydrate – 3.5 g
Fat – 0.1 g
Fiber – 1.2 g
See full nutritional celery of Celery glossary click here.
A Nutrition Talk
Is sure to include benefits of celery stalk,
Always keep it in stock
And don’t forget to add it to your wok…..
Tarla Dalal’s 5 Culinary Ideas of Cooking Healthy with Celery….
1. Celery Soup
2. Celery Cucumber and Grape Salad
3. Spring Onion Celery and Garlic Dip
4. Pineapple Celery Juice
5. Cucumber Capsicum and Celery Salad
More about Celery….
How to Buy Celery
7 Uses of Celery
Extravagant Cooking with Celery