by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 1606 times
Soups often seem incomplete without Bread Sticks. So inseparable are the two that some people even call bread sticks as ‘soup sticks’! Let’s get going to make some perfectly crispy bread sticks, just like (or better than) the ones you get in the shops.
You can adjust the thickness of the bread sticks as per your liking, because some want it thick and some prefer it thin. Scoop up some butter with your yummy homemade Bread Stick, dip it into your favourite soup and savour the delightful experience!
Try other accompaniments like Bread Rolls and Cheesy Bread Strips .
- Combine the yeast, sugar and 2 tbsp of warm water in a small bowl, mix well and cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the plain flour, salt and the yeast-sugar mixture in a deep bowl and knead it into soft dough using enough warm water.
- Add 1 tsp of olive oil and knead again till smooth.
- Cover the dough with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 45 minutes or till the dough rises.
- Dust a clean dry surface with little plain flour, put the dough over it and pat it lightly with your fingers to shape into a rectangle of 200 mm (8”) x 125 mm. (5”) and do not knead at all.
- Cut it into 12 equal portions using a dusted sharp knife.
- Take a portion and roll it lightly on the surface without using any plain flour into a long roll of 250 mm. (10”) each.
- Repeat step 7 with the remaining portions.
- Place all the rolled portions on a baking tray lined with butter paper.
- Bake them in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 25 minutes.
- Brush all the bread sticks with the remaining ½ tsp of olive oil evenly over them.
- Cool slightly and serve or store in an air-tight container. Use as required.
Nutrient values per stick
|Vitamin A||8.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.