Vegetable Sandwich ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 140 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 365289 times
Mumbai veg sandwich recipe | vegetable sandwich | simple veg sandwich | how to make sandwich at home | with 35 amazing images
Mumbai veg sandwich recipe | vegetable sandwich | simple veg sandwich | how to make sandwich at home is the most famous snack available on the streets of Mumbai. Learn how to make Mumbai veg sandwich.
To make Mumbai veg sandwich, first make the green chutney using coriander, spinach, bread slice, green chillies, lemon juice, salt and water. Trim off the edges of each bread slice and apply some butter and ½ tsp of chutney on it. Place a slice of bread, with the buttered-chutney side facing upwards, on a clean and dry surface. Arrange 5 cucumber slices, 4 potato slices and sprinkle some sandwich masala evenly over it. Arrange 4 tomato slices, 3 beetroot slices, 2 onion slices and again sprinkle some sandwich masala evenly over it. Cover it with another slice of bread, with the buttered-chutney side facing downwards and press it lightly. Cut Mumbai veg sandwich into pieces and serve.
Vegetable sandwich is a wholesome meal that you can feast on however short of time you are! You will find a sandwich ‘rekdi’ and a ‘bhaiyya’ making this plain sandwich at every corner of the street.
Tips to make vegetable sandwich. 1. The main essence of this vegetable sandwich is the green chutney and sandwich masala. While you can buy the readymade chaat masala, if time permits try making it at home. 2. Make use of fresh bread slices only. 3. Don’t hesitate to sprinkle a generous amount of sandwich masala after each round of veggies.
Each simple veg sandwich is neatly cut into six equal pieces and served with tomato ketchup and chutney. And not to worry if you like it piping hot… bhaiyya will be very happy to toast them for you.
Besides this street style Vegetable Sandwich check out our collection of sandwich recipes which has recipes like Thai Sub Sandwich , Caramelized Onions and Cheese Panini , Cheese-N-Celery Sandwiches , Open Chunky Vegetable Sandwich , Burrata Cheese and Bellpepper Grilled Sandwich and many more.
Enjoy Mumbai veg sandwich recipe | vegetable sandwich | simple veg sandwich | how to make sandwich at home with detailed step by step photos and video below.
- Heat a broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, black peppercorns, fennel seeds and star anise and dry roast on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
- Once cooled, blend in a mixer to a fine powder.
- Add the black salt, rock salt and dried mango powder and blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Use as required.
- Trim off the edges of each bread slice and apply some butter and ½ tsp of chutney on it and keep aside.
- Place a slice of bread, with the buttered-chutney side facing upwards, on a clean and dry surface.
- Arrange 5 cucumber slices, 4 potato slices and sprinkle some sandwich masala evenly over it.
- Arrange 4 tomato slices, 3 beetroot slices, 2 onion slices and again sprinkle some sandwich masala evenly over it.
- Cover it with another slice of bread, with the buttered-chutney side facing downwards and press it lightly.
- Cut into 6 equal pieces, place it on a plate and apply some butter evenly over it.
- Repeat steps 2 to 6 to make 3 more vegetable sandwich.
- Serve the vegetable sandwich immediately with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
- brown bread vegetable sandwich: replace white bread with brown bread for a healthier version of this delicacy.
- cheese vegetable sandwich: simply put a generous amount of grated cheese over the tomatoes (after step 4 in the above recipe), top with another slice of bread and some more grated cheese over it. Cut into 6 equal pieces and serve immediately.
- veg toast sandwich: place the sandwich in an electric toaster or a hand toaster and cook using butter till it turns brown and crisp on both sides. Remove and cut into 6 equal pieces and serve hot topped with butter and nylon sev.
- jain vegetable sandwich: to make a jain version, use generous amounts of cucumber and tomatoes in the above recipe. Do not add onions, potatoes and beetroot. You can have this sandwich as it is or toasted.
Vegetable Sandwich (Mumbai Roadside Recipes) Video by Tarla Dalal
Vegetable Sandwich ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes ) recipe with step by step photos
For the green chutney to make Mumbai veg sandwich recipe | vegetable sandwich | take a small mixer jar and add the coriander to it. Smaller jar is always better to use as it is easier to blend in it. Make sure the coriander is nice and fresh and also green in colour.
Add the spinach.
Add the green chillies. If you want it spicier use the dark green variety and use the light green variety if you wish to have a less spicy chutney.
Add the bread slices. Old slices can be used, this makes the chutney more thicker and also saves cost.
Add the lemon juice. This is very important as it helps the chutney maintain its bright green colour. Generally chutney always gets dark green or blackish in colour over time so adding lemon juice will prevent that from happening.
Add salt and 2 tbsp of water. You may add little more water if needed but the chutney should not be thin it should be nice and thick.
Blend in a mixer till smooth.
For the Sandwich Masala to make Mumbai veg sandwich recipe | vegetable sandwich | heat a small broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds.
Add the cloves and cinnamon.
Add the black peppercorns, fennel seeds and star anise. Star anise can be avoided if you do not have it at home.
Dry roast on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep stirring it using a wooden spoon.
Transfer it to a plate and keep aside to cool.
Once cooled, transfer to a small mixer jar as the quantity is not too big.
Blend it to a smooth powder. In between do mix it with a spoon so that the whole spices are blended well.
Add the black salt. This gives a unique taste.
Add the rock salt.This is used in place of the regular salt. It is a healthier option as compared to the regular salt.
Add the dried mango powder. This gives a nice khatta or sour taste.
Now blend it till smooth. Your Sandwich Masala is ready.
Use as required. As we are using very little in this Vegetable Sandwich recipe we can store this in an air-tight container at room temperature in a cool, dark place for later use. This will stay good for atleast 2 months.
To make Mumbai veg sandwich | vegetable sandwich | place 2 bread slices on a clean, dry surface.
Trim off the edges of each bread slice using a sharp bread knife and apply 1/2 tsp of soft butter on each bread slice. Apply this using a butter knife.
Spread ½ tsp of green chutney on each buttered bread slice. Use a butter knife for even spreading.
Arrange 5 cucumber slices on one buttered-chutney slice. We have added 9 as our bread slice was bigger. Always taste the cucumber before using it as at times it is little bitter in taste which will make the sandwich taste really bad.
Arrange 4 potato slices evenly over the cucumber slices. Potatoes should be boiled in a pressure cooker, peeled and then cooled slightly and then cut into round slices using a sharp knife.
Sprinkle little sandwich masala evenly over it. This removes the blandness from the vegetables.
Arrange 4 tomato slices. Use tomatoes that are red in colour and firm, cut them using a sharp knife.
Top it with 3 beetroot slices. It can be avoided if you wish to. Beetroot should be boiled well in a pressure cooker, cooled and then cut into round slices using a sharp knife.
Then top it with 2 onion slices.This gives a very nice taste but if you do not like it then you can avoid it.
Sprinkle some sandwich masala evenly over it.
Cover it with another slice of bread, with the buttered-chutney side facing downwards.
Press the Vegetable Sandwich lightly with your hands.
Cut into 6 equal pieces using a sharp bread knife. Make sure you cut this lightly or else the filling will come out of the Vegetable Sandwich.
Apply 1/2 tsp of butter evenly over the Vegetable Sandwich. This gives a very nice flavour and makes the sandwich nice and buttery.
Repeat steps 1 to 14 to make 3 more Vegetable Sandwiches.
Serve this Vegetable Sandwich immediately with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per sandwiche
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.