Baked Vada Pav / How To Make Baked Vada Pav
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 90 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 25999 times
From outside, it looks like a bread roll, but when you bite into it, it is a vada pav. That makes this lovely dish appeal to both camps – the sandwich lovers and the vada pav fans!
Bread dough is layered with garlic chutney and stuffed with a peppy potato mixture before being baked to a perfectly golden colour, which makes it look and smell irresistible. A brushing of butter is the final master stroke, which makes it impossible to wait for your turn to grab a Baked Vada Pav!
If you are not going to have this immediately after baking, allow it to cool completely and store it in an airtight container. Warm it in the oven for five minutes just before serving.
- Combine the dry yeast, sugar and 2 tbsp of warm water in a small bowl, cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the plain flour, butter, salt and yeast-sugar mixture in a deep bowl, mix well and knead it into soft dough using approx. ½ cup of warm water.
- Cover the dough with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions, garlic paste, green chillies and turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for 30seconds.
- Add the potatoes, coriander, lemon juice and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Divide the potato stuffing into 8 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball, flatten it into a 100 mm. (4”) diameter circle and place it on your palms.
- Place a portion of the potato stuffing in the centre, top it evenly with 1 tsp of dry garlic chutney.
- Bring all the sides together and roll it between your palms into a ball and slightly flatten it.
- Transfer them into a greased baking tray, cover them with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 25 minutes.
- Remove the muslin cloth and bake them in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (400°F) for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Serve hot brushed with melted butter.
Nutrient values per baked vada pav
|Vitamin A||138 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.9 mg|
|Vitamin C||3.8 mg|
|Folic Acid||3 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.