Vada Pav, Mumbai Roadside Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 206 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 136873 times
Aptly called the poor man’s burger! Deep-fried potato patties served between laddi pav smeared with an assortment of chutneys, this serves as a meal at a meagre price of just Rs.12.
Serve with fried green chillies if you like stuff a tad spicier, and perk it up further by adding finely chopped onions along with the chutneys.
Also do try other popular Mumbai street foods like Samosa Sandwich, Ragda Pattice and Veg Frankie .
- Heat the oil in a small kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the garlic, ginger and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few more seconds.
- Add the potatoes, salt and turmeric powder,mix well and cook for a minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Divide into 4 equal portions and shape each portion into a round.
- Dip each vada in the prepared batter and deep-fry in hot oil till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Slit a pav horizontally, apply meetha chutney, teekha chutney and sukha lehsun ka chutney (as per your taste) on the inner sides of the pav and stuff with a hot vada.
- Alternatively you can avoid the meetha chutney and teekha chutney and use only sukhi lehsun ki chutney.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more vada pavs.
- Serve immediately with fried green chillies.
- Deep-fry the green chillies in hot oil till they become crisp and slightly whitish in colour. Drain on absorbent paper and serve.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per vada pav
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.