Ladi Pav, Eggless Homemade Laadi Pav Buns
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 56 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 251541 times
ladi pav | eggless ladi pav | homemade ladi pav | homemade ladi pav with 28 amazing step by step photos and video.
Ladi Pav is a hearty homemade bun, which is very famous in Mumbai. This feather-soft ladi pav is best had with a spicy bhaji or vegetable curry, but you can also serve it as a sandwich lined with chutney and packed with potato vadas.
Old-timers will go to the extent of preparing the yeast also at home to make Laadi Pav but this version made with instant dry yeast is more common and very effective. You will love the outcome. It is so soft and tasty, you will look forward to making ladi pav – and of course, eating it – again and again!
Once the dough of the ladi pav has been shaped and put in the tray, make sure it has proved (that means doubled in size) very well. That's the key to make a perfect eggless ladi pav. Make sure you butter or oil the ladi pav once its immediately out of the oven to ensure it stays soft and does not dry up.
Popular recipes served with ladi pav are Vada Pav, Dabeli, Kaanda Bhajji Pav, Misal and Pav Bhaji.
- To make ladi pav, combine the milk, 2 tbsp warm water, sugar and yeast in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the oil and the butter in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the plain flour, baking powder and salt, mix well.
- Add the yeast mixture.
- Mix well and knead into a soft dough using approx. 1 cup of warm water.
- Once kneaded, insert the fingertip into the dough and it should bounce back clean, which means the dough is ready.
- Add the oil-butter mixture.
- Knead again for 5 to 8 minutes by stretching the dough and folding it back till it is smooth and elastic.
- The dough should look smooth like in the below image.
- Transfer the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 1 hour or till it doubles in a warm place.
- The dough has risen and doubled in size.
- Deflate the dough by inserting a finger, which should leave a depression in the dough without bouncing back. This means the dough has perfectly risen.
- Transfer to a floured board and knead again for 5 minutes using little flour by stretching it and folding it back till smooth.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions.
- Roll each portion of the dough into a smooth round.
- Place them on a greased aluminium tray at regular intervals.
- Cover it again with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- They will double in size as shown below.
- Brush the dough with the milk.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 20 minutes.
- Loosen the edges with the help of a knife.
- Once cooled, de-mould it and brush the ladi pav with butter and cool completely.
- Serve or use the ladi pav as required.
- The ladi pav will stay fresh for 2 days when stored in an air-tight container.
Ladi pav video, Eggless homemade laadi pav video
Ladi Pav, Eggless Homemade Laadi Pav Buns recipe with step by step photos
For preparing ladi pav, we first need to activate the yeast. For that in a deep bowl, take milk. The texture of eggless ladi pav comes out soft and fluffy on using milk.
Add 2 tbsp warm water. Don’t forget to check the temperature of water by dipping your finger. Water that's too hot can damage or kill the yeast.
Add the sugar. Sugar has multiple roles in bread making. One being it acts as a food for yeast and helps in creating carbon dioxide and alcohol. Sugar also enhances the flavour of the bread, gives a crumbly texture & golden crust to the eggless ladi pav.
Add the instant dry yeast.
Mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, you will see a frothy layer which indicates our yeast has been activated and is ready to use. If it does not, then throw and restart or get another batch of yeast. If you use flat yeast, you will get dense and sticky ladi pav.
For preparing the dough for homemade ladi pav, in another bowl, take oil. Add butter. Mix well and keep aside.
In another bowl, take the plain flour. To make a healthy whole wheat ladi pav, refer this recipe of.
Add the baking powder and salt. Baking powder helps to make the ladi pav feather-light and soft. Add the activated yeast mixture.
Add approx. 1 cup of warm water. The quantity of water will depend upon the quality of the flour used.
Knead into a soft dough. Use a bench scraper if the dough is sticking a lot to the work surface.
Once kneaded, insert the fingertip into the dough and it should bounce back clean, which means the dough is ready for the next step.
Add the oil-butter mixture.
Knead again for 5 to 8 minutes. At any stage, do not compromise on kneading part, as the gluten needs to be formed which helps in giving a fluffy texture to the ladi pav.
Stretch the dough back and fold until the ladi pav dough turns smooth and elastic. The dough should look smooth like in the below image.
Grease a large bowl with oil. Tuck the edges of the dough towards the center and transfer the dough in a greased bowl.
Cover it with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 1 hour or till it doubles in a warm place. Depending upon the climatic conditions, the time for the ladi pav dough to rise will vary.
The dough has risen and doubled in size.
Deflate the dough by inserting a finger, which should leave a depression in the dough without bouncing back. This means the dough has perfectly risen.
Sprinkle little dry flour on your workstation or board. Don’t add too much maida otherwise the pav would not be that soft.
Transfer the dough to a floured board.
Knead again for 5 minutes using little flour by stretching it and folding it back till smooth.
Our dough for ladi pav is now ready!
For baking the eggless ladi pav, divide the pav bun dough into 12 equal portions using a knife or a dough scraper.
Tuck the edges underneath towards the center and roll each portion of dough into a smooth round.
Grease an aluminium tray with oil. Place the dough balls on a greased aluminium tray at regular intervals.
Cover it again with a damp muslin cloth so that they don't stick to the cloth. Keep aside for 30 minutes to proof.
They will double in size as shown below.
Brush the dough with the milk.
Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 20 minutes. If the buns don’t look brown, bake for some more time.
After baking, loosen the edges with the help of a knife. Our baked ladi pav buns are ready!
Once cooled, de-mould it. Brush the laadi pav with butter and cool completely.
Serve the Indian pav immediately or use as required. The laadi pav will stay fresh for 2 days when stored in an air-tight container. You can use the laddi pav to serve as an accompaniment to popular dishes like: Misal Pav, Jain Pav Bhaji and Cheese Stuffed Vada Pav
Q. The recipe turned out good in terms of taste, however the texture wasnt soft as expected. The dough was hard, what should i do?
The texture of the dough should be really soft to make Eggless homemade Ladi pav buns. Knead the dough well with adding enough water to make a soft dough. Hydration is the key in achieving a soft Ladi pav.
Q. My yeast did not bloom as shown in the recipe steps. What could have gone wrong?
Yeast with time looses its strength, make sure the yeast you use is fresh. Also, make sure you use lukewarm water to bloom the yeast, hot water will kill the yeast and stop the blooming process. Do not mix the yeast with salt while kneading the dough as it will stop the proofing process of the bread, and the ladi pav wont rise.
Q. Hello Mam , today i tried this recipe. Everything looked all good till baked my buns. I don’t know what went wrong but my bun turned hard after baking. I baked them (400 f) for 20 min and properly followed the kneading and proofing technique. A. Hi, When it baked, ladi pav turns hard, you need to apply butter or oil over it and cool it, and then, slowly it would become soft.
Nutrient values per laadi pav
|Vitamin A||49.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||0.1 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.