Whole Wheat Ladi Pav, Eggless Homemade Laddi Pav Buns
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 34 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 31932 times
Ladi pav is one of the most famous indigenous breads of India, especially as part of its street food repertoire.
Made with a dough of whole wheat flour enhanced with yeast, these breads have a special texture and rich taste, which make it a perfect match for spicy subzis and potato bhaji .
We have used a quarter cup of plain flour to the eggless dough to give the pav a little elasticity. Use this awesome bread to make delicious recipes like Vada Pav and Pav Bhaji .
- Combine the sugar, yeast, warm milk and 2 tbsp of warm water in a deep bowl, mix well, cover with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the oil and the butter in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, plain flour, baking powder and salt in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Add the yeast-sugar mixture, mix well and knead into a soft dough using approx. 1 cup of warm water.
- Add the oil-butter mixture and knead again for 3 to 4 minutes. The dough should look smooth.
- Transfer the dough into a greased deep bowl, cover it with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 1 hour or till it doubles in size.
- Deflate the dough by inserting a finger, which should leave a depression in the dough without bouncing back. This means the dough has perfectly risen.
- Knead the dough again for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions.
- Roll each portion of the dough into a smooth round.
- Place them on a greased aluminium tray at regular intervals.
- Cover it again with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 30 minutes. They will double in size.
- Brush the dough with the milk.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 20 minutes.
- Loosen the edges with the help of a knife. Cool slightly.
- Once slightly cooled, de-mould it and brush the ladi pav with butter and cool completely.
- Serve or store in an air-tight container and use as required.
Whole Wheat Ladi Pav, Eggless Homemade Laddi Pav Buns recipe with step by step photos
I''m using activated dry yeast. What quantity to use? Use the same quantity of yeast (1tbsp), adjust the water according to the consistency required to make the dough.
Is it possible to use a glass tray instead of aluminum one for this recipe to make whole wheat ladi pav? We would suggest using only an aluminum tray to make Indian ladi pav for best results.
Nutrient values per laadi pav
|Vitamin A||138 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||7.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.