Misal Pav Or How To Make Misal Pav
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 332 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 375817 times
One of the most famous of Maharashtrian recipes, Misal is a scrumptious cocktail of savouries and sprouts! Wholesome and tasty sprouts are cooked with tangy tomatoes and pungent onions, not to forget the spice powders and the special coconut-onion based misal masala!
All of this is further enhanced with chivda, potatoes and other appropriate ingredients to make a sumptuous accompaniment for laddi pav.
The best part about Misal is that it suits breakfast, dinner and any other time you wish to have it.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and coconut and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the flame and allow it to cool completely.
- Once cooled, blend in a mixer to a smooth powder without using any water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared misal masala and sauté on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder and a little water (approx. 1 tbsp), mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the matki, safed vatana, moong and chawli sprouts and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of hot water and salt, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add the chilli powder, 1/2 cup of water and coriander, mix well and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving pour 1/4 of the misal in a serving bowl, sprinkle 2 tbsp of mixed farsaan,2 tbsp of batata poha, 2 tbsp of onions and 1 tbsp of coriander over it.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more servings.
- Serve immediately with laddi pavs and lemon wedges.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.