Dahi Batata Puri, Mumbai Dahi Puri Chaat
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 124 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 121136 times
dahi batata puri recipe | Mumbai roadstyle dahi puri | dahi puri chaat | with amazing 10 images.
dahi batata puri is a famous Mumbai roadstyle dahi batata puri also known as dahi puri chaat.
dahi batata puri, an arrangement of tiny, crisp puris amidst a mélange of potatoes, ragda and a topping of miscellaneous chutneys and beaten curds! a cool dahi puri chaat treat that you might prefer over regular bhel or fiery pani puri on a hot summer’s day! This road side chaat is supremely flavourful.
Dahi puri recipe is a popular Mumbai Street Foods . Made from deep fried puris which are stuffed with potatoes, chutneys and then topped with curds. That's just the first part of making dahi batata puri street food. We further top it with chilli powder, cumin seed powder and then some sev to make the famous dahi puri.
After a round of spicy Pani Puris, eating Mumbai road style dahi puri is the perfect way to soothe your palate. "Dahi batata puri" are a favourite with children as well as with adults who cannot handle the fiery pani puri.
I show you how to make dahi puri at home as this is far healthier than having it on the street. The quality of ingredients used are of much higher quality and this recipe is not very complicated if you have deep fried puris and chutney on hand. Here we have stuffed the puri only with potatoes but you can add boiled sprouts or boondi if you wish to. Also, if you are a jain don’t be disheartened as you can make the similar recipe by swapping potatoes with ragda or boondi.
What makes a dahi batata puri truly divine is obviously the humble curds which are made daily in every Indian household. The curds have to be fresh and chilled and most importantly of the right consistency i.e. neither too thick nor too thin.
Save the semi puffed (half puffed) or damaged puris which cannot be used for serving pani puri to make dahi batata puri. Also, make sure to serve the dahi batata puri as soon as it is assembled or it will turn soggy.
Check out our easy to prepare collection of chaat recipes which has recipes like Khasta Kachori Chaat, Aloo Chaat, Chole Tikki Chaat, Dahi Ragda Chaat and many more.
Learn to make dahi batata puri recipe | Mumbai roadstyle dahi puri | dahi puri chaat | with detailed step by step photos and video below.
- To make dahi batata puri, crack a small hole in the centre of each puri and arrange 6 puris on a plate.
- Stuff each puri with ½ tbsp of potatoes and top with 1 tsp teekha phudina chutney, ½ tbsp of meetha chutney and 2 tbsp of curds.
- Sprinkle ½ tsp of chilli powder, ½ tsp of cumin seeds powder, ½ tsp of black salt and 2 tbsp of sev evenly over the puris and serve immediately garnished with 1 tsp of coriander.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more plates of dahi batata puri.
- Use chilled beaten curds, for an extra-cooling effect!
- Jain dahi puri: replace potatoes with ½ the recipe of ragda or 1 cup of soaked boondi, or 1 cup of boiled moong for stuffing the puris and proceed as per the recipe.
- Ragda puri: for 1 plate, stuff each of the 6 puris with ½ tbsp of ragda,instead of potatoes and top with 1 tsp of teekha chutney and ½ tbsp of meetha chutney.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of sev and 1 tsp of dry red masala evenly over the puris and serve immediately.
Dahi Batata Puri, Mumbai Dahi Puri Chaat recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per plate
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.