Bread Gulab Jamun Recipe, Quick Indian Sweet
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 2745 times
Festive occasions seem incomplete without at least one mithai but sometimes we are so busy we do not have time to prepare anything complex.
The Bread Gulab Jamun is just right for such occasions. It gives the same results as traditional gulab jamun but is much easier and quicker.
Instead of the usual khoya based dough, the Bread Gulab Jamun is made of bread held together with milk. A dash of mixed nuts adds more josh to the jamuns giving them a rich taste and mouth-feel. Prepare the sugar syrup before you start deep-frying the bread-based jamuns. Once you fry them, put them directly into the syrup to get a nice, melt-in-the-mouth texture.
You can also try other Indian sweets like the Mohanthal and Rasgulla .
- Combine the sugar and 1½ cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 14 to 15 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Trim the bread slices in a mixer till coarse. Transfer it in a deep bowl.
- Add the milk and knead very well to form a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a round, flatten it and put ½ tsp of mixed nuts in the centre. Bring together the edges in the centre to seal the stuffing and shape it into a ball.
- Repeat step 4 to stuff and roll 11 more portions.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry a few balls at a time on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Put these deep-fried bread gulab jamuns directly into the warm sugar syrup and keep it aside for atleast 2 hours at room temperature.
- Serve warm.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.