10 reasons to eat more Spinach
As far as green leafy vegetables go, Spinach, also known as palak, is definitely among the most popular in this country. Who hasn’t enjoyed a delectable Palak Paneer at some point? Or relished the green leaves in soup or some other form?
Different varieties of spinach are available in the market. Savoy spinach has crisp, curly leaves with a springy texture; semi-Savoy is similar in texture but not as crinkled in appearance. Smooth-leaf spinach, which seems most common in India, has flat, spade-shaped leaves. Baby spinach has a sweeter taste and is great for use in salads.
Find out why spinach gets a thumbs UP!
1. The dark green variety of spinach is rich in Antioxidants like beta carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin which possesses anti-cancer properties. Opt for Palak Chola Dal Idli. Devoid of rice, it can be added to a diabetic menu as well.
Palak Chola Dal Idli, Breakfast Recipe
2. Presence of high amounts of Iron in it helps to prevent anaemia. Opt for Spinach and Mint Juice as a healthy shot in the morning. it is best consume it on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.
Spinach and Mint Juice ( Healthy Juice)
3. Spinach is also crammed with vitamins such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6. Oats Spinach Pancake is a healthy breakfast or snack option. You can have this adai for dinner as well.
Oats Adai, Oats Spinach Pancake
4. The high flavonoid content of spinach helps to keep cholesterol from oxidizing and protect your body from free radicals. Lentil Tomato and Spinach Soup is a good way to make up for your nutrient needs in between meals. It will keep you satiated till your next meal.
5. Being low in calories and Cholesterol, Spinach is a very healthy addition to a weight watcher’s diet. Try the Spinach Mushroom and Carrot Clear Soup. It is a weight watcher's delight. Pepped up with little soya sauce and garlic, it is sure to entice you on a rainy day.
Spinach, Mushroom and Carrot Clear Soup
6. The high beta carotene and Vitamin C in spinach boosts gastrointestinal health. It helps the body’s colon to be free of harmful free radicals. Try the Strawberry Baby Spinach Salad. Both strawberry and spinach are a good source of vitamin C.
Strawberry Baby Spinach Salad, Indian Style
7. All the above mentioned vitamins and antioxidants together contribute to a healthy and glowing skin. It’s an anti-ageing veggie. Replace deep-fried snack with healthy antioxidant rich Spinach Mixed Sprouts Raita.
Spinach and Mixed Sprouts Raita
8. The high Iron, Magnesium and vitamin B in spinach promotes hair growth. Include more or whole grains, dals, pulses, curd and healthy nuts in your diet. Combine 2 food groups like done in the recipe of Masoor Dal with Spinach to gain maximum nutrients in one dish. Pair this healthy dal with phulkas / chapati. Also read 10 Superb Health Benefits of Masoor Dal.
Masoor Dal with Spinach, Protein Rich Recipes
9. Spinach also aids to keep your body stress-free. Have a glass of Palak Kale and Apple Juice as a detox drink. It is a nourishing potion in which the entire fiber is retained, as the juice is not strained. Make it and drink it immediately to reap all its benefits.
Palak, Kale and Apple Juice
10. Either raw or cooked, Spinach can be used in both the forms in a number of exciting preparations. Try the unique Palak Bajra Khichdi. Made with whole bajra and spinach, it is brimming with iron, protein, B vitamins, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc. To sum it up, is is perfect one dish meal to stay healthy.
Add this refreshing green element to your cooking today!
10 super healthy Spinach recipes
We have given you a healthy Spinach Raita which you can pair with a Bajra Roti and then there is the Spianch and Bean Sprout Salad.
For dinner, try the Spinach Hummus as a side dish with Spinach and Chick Pea Soup for a light meal. Also not to miss is the tasty Spinach Mushroom Sabzi.
Spinach Mushroom Sabzi, Palak Mushroom Recipe
Consume all these recipes guilt free as they are healthy.
Palak, Kale and Apple Juice