Palak Chola Dal Idli, Breakfast Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 51 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 36074 times
This idli breaks all stereotypical notions that we usually have about idli – it is not made of rice and urad, it does not require fermentation, yet it is super tasty!
Two off-beat ingredients – chola dal and palak form the base of this tasty idli, which gains some additional flavour from ingredients like ginger, green chillies and lemon juice. A dash of fruit salt enables you to cook the batter immediately without requiring any fermentation.
This no-fuss recipe does not require much preparatory work – just plan ahead and soak the chola dal, that’s all. Together with chutney and sambhar, the Palak Chola Dal Idli makes a wonderful breakfast.
You can also try other recipes like Poha Dhokla and Sevaiyan Upma for breakfast.
- Combine the chola dal, spinach and lemon juice along with ½ cup of water and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the mixture in a deep bowl, add the ginger-green chilli paste and salt and mix well.
- Add the fruit salt and 1 tbsp of water and mix gently.
- Pour spoonful of the batter into greased idli moulds.
- Steam in an idli steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till they are cooked.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more idlis.
- Serve hot with sambhar and coconut chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per idli
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.