Weaning babies with Fruit and Vegetable Juices
For your Baby, a well-balanced diet is essential, especially during these initial months of weaning at 6 to 7 months. Your little one is growing now and will need vitamins and minerals to make her strong. Fresh fruit and vegetable juices made of carrots, beetroot, apple and muskmelon that are storehouses of vitamins, are the best foods to supplement a breast milk diet.
9 guidelines on how to prepare and feed fruit juices to your Baby
1. Straining the juices is necessary to make digestion easier. Try the recipe of Beetroot Soup for Babies.
Beetroot Soup for Babies
2. Most paediatricians recommend that fruits like custard apple, pineapple, grapes, watermelon, guavas and strawberry should be avoided till your baby is one year old.
Instead try your creativity with other fruits in the form of Homemade Strained Apple Juice .
Homemade Strained Apple Juice Recipe, Clear Fluid Recipe
3. It is better to avoid using vegetables like tomatoes to make juice as they may contain some indigestible shreds even after you strain them, and these may be difficult for your baby to digest at this age.
/Tomatoes with cross mark
4. To begin with, introduce your baby to a single fruit or vegetable juice at a time. This will help you to identify your baby's likes, dislikes and allergies, if any. Check the recipe of Carrot Juice.
Carrot Juice for Babies
5. Follow this with a combination of two fruits or vegetables, once the baby has adjusted to both the fruits or vegetables individually. Try Carrot and Muskmelon Juice.
Carrot and Muskmelon Juice
6. Start with 1 teaspoon of liquid and gradually increase the amount to about half a cup per day. Rice Water is one of the good feed to begin with.
Rice Water for Babies
7. Before you start preparing your baby's meal, do remember to wash and sterilise all the utensils and equipments you use.
8. Don’t expect your baby to like all the foods you give her. If she does not like something, avoid it for some days, try another food and try again later. Say she doesn’t like Rice Water, then try Moong Dal Water.
Moong Dal Water
9. Stay away from myths and superstitions. A prevalent notion that fruit juices must be warmed before feeding to prevent your baby from catching a cold is completely erroneous. Warming or heating will destroy the volatile Vitamin C present in them. Instead feed juices like Muskmelon Juice immediately upon making.
Muskmelon Juice for Babies
Given below are some healthy recipes for your Baby. Also you will find the article on How to make your Toddler eat interesting.