Top 10 Kand, Purple Yam Indian Recipes
Top 10 Purple Yam, Kand Recipes. Known in English as purple yam, kand is one of the favourite winter veggies. Although it is nowadays available almost throughout the year, it is reasonably priced during the winter months, which is a good reason to buy a basketful and try out these delightful recipes with it!
Purple yam is a tuber with grayish brown skin and purple flesh. It has a rough texture and dark coloured skin. You can buy a large batch of these yams and store them in a cool, dark, well-ventilated place for up to 10 days. Never put them in a plastic bag, just store them loose in an airy basket. Keep out of sunlight because sunlight causes them to sprout and ferment.
Kand has a very homely taste, which is liked by everybody, both children and adults. It can be used to make a variety of recipes ranging from morning to evening, from Starter to Main Course, Kand can be used to make a wide range of mouth-watering delicacies.
Best Purple Yam, Kand Recipes
1. India is a diverse county, there are people from different caste and creed. They celebrate a number of festivals throughout the year, out of which during some festivals like Navratri they observe fasting. Apart from potato, purple yam and elephant yam are popular tubers that can help you make interesting fasting recipes. You can try the stir fry steamed Kand cubes and make Chatpata Kand.
2. Make this scrumptious Kand Sandwich which has a tongue-tickling flavour not from green chutney but, from the rock salt and pepper that are mixed with the yam slices before making the sandwich.
Kand Sandwich, Faraali Purple Yam Sandwich Recipe
3. Crispy Kand Wafers can also be made and stored in a jar to enjoy any time you wish! Why only for fasting, kids are sure to enjoy them in their short break if packed in their tiffin boxes.
4. Make these deep fried Kand Aloo Pakoda which is a perfect accompaniment for a cup of hot masala chai on a cold winter’s day.
Kand Aloo Pakoda (Faraal Recipe)
5. Kand Na Bhajia is also made by deep-frying thin slices of purple yam dipped in a gram flour batter like we make potato bhajiya.
Kand Na Bhajia (Gujarati Recipe)
6. This delicious Chilas with Kand, will surely replace your basic besan chilla for Breakfast. All you need to do is replace salt with sendha namak to be enjoyed on fasting days. Serve them with green chutney.
Chilla with Kand
7. Kand ki Chaat with aromatic herbs, peppy spice powders, crunchy onions and tangy lemon combine excitingly with deep-fried kand cubes is surely a heavenly combination you must try.
Kand ki Chaat
8. It can even be introduced into continental recipes like Rosti, to make the delicious Kand and Potato Rosti. The inviting colour and appetizing aroma will make you drool even before you taste the yummy dish.
Kand and Potato Rosti, Purple Yam and Potato Rosti
9. Dainty Kand Tikkis are indeed attractive. Deep fried to perfection, they are a majestic add-on to a vrat menu. Snack on them and you will surely be satiated for a long time.
10. Have you ever seen or tried making Kand Puri? We have a specialy designed recipe for you. Mashed purple yam binded together with rajgira flour and perked up with simple fresh coriander, green chillies, lemon juice and jeera powder, it is a quick and easy recipe, which you must try in the winter season when this root vegetable is available in plenty.
Kand Puri, Savoury Kand Puri