Janmashtami recipes | fasting recipes for Janmashtami |
Janmashtami recipes | fasting recipes for Janmashtami | Lord Krishna’s birth is observed across India with fasting, bhajans, poojas and other rituals. It is a day of great joy for Krishna bhakts. Lots of Indians celebrate the auspicious occasion of Janmashtami with great enthusiasm.
Rajgira Paneer Paratha ( Faraal Recipe)
Many believers in the Lord spend a lot of time on visits to Mathura or Nathdwara paying homage to Krishna Bhagwan.
Mathura is the birthplace of Lord Krishna where where Janmashtami celebrations are done with great enthusiasm. The main celebrations are performed at the Dwarkadhish temple.
Shakarkand Ka Halwa
On Janmashtami day followers of Krishna Bhagwan dresses Him in colourful clothes and matching jewellery, and painstakingly ensures that every detail is just right. Most families keep a fast on Janmashtami, but one meal is allowed.
Worshippers play soulful kirtans / bhajans at home. Like everything else, the prasad is also made with great care, and suit the occasion completely. Here is a selection of her favourite sweets – they are surprisingly easy-to-make, and you can offer them as prasad as well.
Singhada Sheera, Farali Singhara Halwa, Vrat Recipe
Sweet recipes for Janmashtami fasting
Sweet are the first thing is preferred while fasting as it helps to control the hunger. Below recipes are just too good to try during fasting days.
1. Shrikhand a magical transformation of simple curds into a delicacy, by a simple procedure. It involves no cooking and is a standard feature of sunday meals.
Shrikhand, Kesar Elaichi Shrikhand
2. Piyush faraal recipe keeps you full for quite some time, as it is made with sumptuous ingredients like shrikhand and fresh buttermilk.
Piyush, Faral Piyush Recipe
3. Sweet Kand Puri a quick and easy recipe that will keep your tummy happy on a fasting day without breaking any rules!
Sweet Kand Puri, Maharashtrian Upwas Recipe
4. Banana and Rajgira Puri yummy puris are made of a dough of rajgira flour, boosted with mashed bananas and laced with cardamom powder.
Banana and Rajgira Puri, Upvaas Recipe
5. Nuts Khoya Ladoo creamy and nutty ladoo, made with mawa, paneer, dry fruits and nuts is very easy to make and involves no cooking.
6 Lauki ki Kheer a reasonably healthy way to satisfy your sweet tooth occasionally, this recipe makes use of doodhi and low-fat milk to make a satiating kheer.
Lauki ki Kheer, Doodhi Kheer Recipe
Savoury snacks for Janmashtami fasting
The ingredients in the below recipes are those which has to eaten during these fasting time. Amazing and interesting recipes to satisfy your hunger.
1. Farali Dosa the ingredients consumed during these fasting days differ from religion to religion and person to person.
Farali Dosa, Faral Foods Recipe
2. Farali Pattice a famous Gujarati snack which is consumed especially during the fasting days or religious occasions or also can be even had as a evening snack.
Farali Pattice ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes )
3. Sabudana Khichdi perfect food for those on a fast or vrat and it is also made in many household as breakfast.
4. Kand Tikki a perfect recipe to try when you are bored of potato-based snacks. In a smart twist, this recipe enables you to use kand instead of potatoes to make tikkis.
5. Upvaas Thalipeeth a spicy and savoury pancake, popular in Western India is loaded with nutrition. Rajgira Paneer Paratha sumptuous recipe that is sure to satiate you even on a fasting day! Here, wholesome rajgira parathas are stuffed with a succulent mixture of grated paneer.
6. Buckwheat Dhokla a batter of buckwheat is perked up with curds, ginger and green chillies to make soft and tasty dhoklas.
Meals for Janmashtami fasting
Some people prefer to have a meal at the end of the day, below are recipes which makes a complete meal by itself.
1. Farali Misal a wonderful flavour and interesting mouth-feel too. Top the potato curry with Farali Chivda and Masala Salli to enhance the flavour and add an exciting crunch.
2. Aloo and Kand Rasawala Shaak a mouth-watering preparation of kand and potatoes in a base of curds, thickened with rajgira flour.
Aloo and Kand Rasawala Shaak, Faraal Recipe
3. Potato Khichdi a unique khichdi made with potato as the base. Perked up with crushed peanuts, green chillies and lemon juice.
Potato Khichdi , Faraal Aloo Khichdi
4. Sama Pulao unique, earthy flavour of the sanwa millet with the aroma and flavour of whole spices and coriander.
Sama Pulao, For Vrat Or Upvas
5. Layered Handva tempting paneer teamed with spicy green chutney is sandwiched between purple yam and potato and baked to perfection.
Layered Handva, Farali Handvo Recipe, Fasting Recipe, Vrat Recipe
6. Samo Khichdi a faraali recipe that can be had during fasting days as well, is made by quickly sautéing all the ingredients.
Sweet recipes for offerings to god during Janmashtami
During fasting pooja is done every day. So here are recipes which you can make it for offering to god as prasad.
1. Panchamrut a traditional recipe used in Hindu religious functions. Easy and quick to make panchamrut is made of these 5 ingredients.
2. Quick Kalakand all-time favourite that has stood the test of time and tide! From its origins in northern India, its popularity has become pan Indian.
Quick Kalakand Recipe
3. Malai Peda a richly textured product like khoya, which when flavoured with cardamom and saffron becomes an intensely aromatic dessert that nobody can resist.
Malai Peda, Diabetic Friendly
4. Coconut Barfi famous and well-loved all over India, the Coconut Barfi can now be prepared easily in the microwave oven.
Microwave Coconut Barfi
Dry snacks for Janmashtami fasting
When you feel hungry during fasting days, some people prefer having dry snack. Below are recipes you can make them in advance and eat whenever you feel like.
1. Potato Wafers faraali version of Potato Wafers is much, much tastier than regular wafers, because it is perked up with rock salt and black pepper.
Potato Wafers, Farali Potato Chips Recipe, Fasting Recipe
2. Kand Wafers yam has a nice flavour, which makes these Kand Wafers very appealing to the palate.
Try Rasgulla, Badam Barfi and Quick Rice Kheer, Singhada Sheera, Shakarkand Ka Halwa, Sevaiyan ki Kheer
Enjoy our Janmashtami recipes | fasting recipes for Janmashtami | and other festival recipes below.
87 Ekadasi Recipes
78 Navratri Vrat Recipe
210 Holi Recipe
89 Maha Shivaratri Recipe
16 Paryushan Recipes
268 Diwali Recipe
91 Dassera Recipe
183 Ganesh Chaturthi Recipe