Kand Puri, Savoury Kand Puri
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 8815 times
Crisp yet soft, savoury to the core, the Kand Puri is a mouth-watering way to satiate your hunger on fasting days. It is a quick and easy recipe, which you must try in the winter season when this root vegetable is available in plenty.
You just need to make a dough of boiled and mashed purple yam and rajgira flour, together with peppy spice powders, shape it and deep-fry it.
These puris are to be flattened with your hands and not rolled. They do not puff up as the dough contains yam, and you must make sure you serve the Kand Puri immediately, otherwise it will get soggy.
As it is a fasting recipe, you can use regular salt or fasting salt (rock salt) as per your preference. Likewise, coriander is also optional and in case you do not have it during fasts, you can avoid it.
You will also love our other kand based fasting recipes like Kand Wafers and Kand Sandwich .
- Combine all ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a stiff dough using a little water.
- Divide the dough into 14 equal portions.
- Take one portion of the dough, roll it between your palms into a round and flatten it lightly to form a 50 mm. (2”) diameter circle using your fingertips.
- Repeat step 3 to make 13 more puris.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, and deep-fry 2 puris at a time, on a slow flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per puri
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.