Moong Dal Chilla, Stuffed Moong Dal Chila
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 360 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 128248 times
Chilla is north India’s answer to dosas. Chillas are thin, tasty pancakes, which can be made using different ingredients, and with or without fillings placed inside them. Chilla is much loved by Gujaratis, and it is a popular roadside snack in Mumbai too.
Here is a protein-rich Moong Dal Chilla, stuffed with a deliciously flavoured mixture of potatoes and green peas. You will thoroughly enjoy the blend of textures and flavours, which you will experience in every mouthful of this Stuffed Moong Dal Chilla. Serve it hot, fresh off the Tava
- Combine the moong dal, green chillies and approx. ¾ cup of water in a mixer and blend till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the asafoetida and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while mashing it slightly using a potato masher.
- Divide the stuffing into 12 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and lightly grease it with oil. Pour a ladleful of the batter on the tava (griddle) and spread it evenly to make a thin circle of 175 mm. (7") diameter.
- Cook, using little oil, till it turns golden brown in colour form both the sides.
- Place one portion of the stuffing on one half of the chilla and fold it to make a semi-circle.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 to make 11 more chillas.
- Serve immediately with green chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per chilla
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.