Top 10 Chana Dal Recipes
Chana dal is one of those pulses that is easily available in almost all parts of India, and is widely used in the cuisine of most Indian communities. A half-round shape and a pleasing yellow colour make it very attractive to use in your cooking. It has a kind of neutral flavour and mealy texture, which suits both sweet and savoury dishes. The spicy Masala Vada of South India and the Puran Poli of Maharashtra need no introduction! It is also used extensively to make subzis and dals, either separately on hand-in-hand with other pulses or veggies.
More about chana dal and its products
Chana dal is made commercially by splitting and polishing baby chickpeas. It is available readily in all grocery stores in different pack sizes. It is also processed into other forms like flour (besan) and roasted chana dal (daria).
Top recipes with chana dal
Chana dal is available and used widely all over India, in all regions. Every region has its favourite recipe too. Here is a pick of the best…
1. Start your day with a tasty pancake made of chana dal combined with other healthy ingredients. It makes a wonderful breakfast and tasty snack, especially for diabetic people.
2. Golden-reddish hued and crispy to the core, this South Indian snack is an all-time favourite. Chana Dal Vada is made often in South Indian households as a special Sunday evening coffee-time snack, and served with fresh coconut chutney. It can also be served as a starter or high-tea snack.
3. Tried making halwa out of chana dal? It turns out to be just great, with an attractive colour, pleasing flavour and nice mouth-feel. Serve the Chana Dal Halwa warm garnished with slivered nuts.
4. An unusual combination of chana dal and suran makes these tikkis a grand surprise. Everybody tastes it out of curiosity and then they fall in love with it! It is just right to serve at parties and family gatherings.
5. Life is full of sweet and spicy occurrences, and this combo reminds us of that magical fact! Spicy Chana Dal served with Sweet Rice made of jaggery, this is a heavenly combo that will take your breath away!
6. A famous recipe from the heritage-rich region of Mysore, this chutney tastes great with idlis, dosas and uttapas.
7. Jain-friendly seekh kebabs made with chana dal and bananas, this is ideal to serve as a starter at your next party. Sure to stun your guests, it will up their expectations, so make sure your whole meal lives up to the expectations set by this one! Enjoy it with green chutney.
8. Do you always end up cooking your chana dal with onions and tomatoes? Try combining it with palak instead. It’s simply wowwww…
9. Kalmi Vada from the royal cuisine of Rajasthan is something that you must try! Made of chana dal and spices, this is an ever-popular snack that is made often by the Rajasthanis.
10. No Maharashtrian festival is complete without a serving of Puran Poli. Not only that, the Maharashtrians make it any time they feel like – be it to celebrate an occasion or just to enjoy a weekend the traditional way! Stuffed with a proper mix of chana dal and coconut, this recipe is out of the world. Don’t miss it.
There are special recipes everywhere, with exotic ingredients that send you on a wild goose chase! But, undoubtedly the most enjoyable ones are those that can be made anytime, anywhere with common ingredients and without too much advance planning. With ingredients like chana dal, it is amazing how you can make simple, everyday dishes like dal as well as mouth-watering delicacies like halwa! There are so many more recipes on our website using this humble dal – it will take you weeks to try them all!