Chana Dal Halwa ( Indian Cooking)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 350 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 120450 times
Chana dal has a richer flavour than other pulses, which lends itself well to the preparation of a mouth-watering halwa. Soaked and ground dal is sautéed till a rich aroma is achieved, and then prepared into a traditional halwa flavoured with cardamom and saffron.
It is important to stir the dal mixture continuously when sautéing it, to avoid charring. Also be cautious when adding the hot milk and water as it tends to splutter a bit.
Although the Chana Dal Halwa requires a bit of prior soaking and takes a bit of time to cook, it is a worthwhile effort, which is sure to be lauded by your guests and family members! One of the perfect Desserts for Entertaining .
- Clean, wash and soak the chana dal in enough water in a bowl for at least 2 hours.
- Drain well and blend the chana dal in a mixer to a coarse mixture without using any water. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a non-stick kadhai, add the chana dal mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 14 minutes or till the mixture turns brown in colour, while stirring continuously.
- Add the hot milk and 1 cup of hot water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes or till the mixture thickens, while stirring continuously.
- Add the sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 more minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the cardamom powder and saffron, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Serve hot garnished with almond slivers.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.