Masala Vadas, South Indian Masala Vadas, Vadai Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 154 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 72974 times
Come to South India, especially Tamil Nadu, and you cannot miss the appetizing aroma of Masala Vadas being fried at tea stalls in almost every street corner! Masala Vada is an all-time favourite evening snack across Tamil Nadu. It is enjoyed hot with coconut chutney and a cup of tea or coffee.
You will have no difficulty in getting it, because it is available in every tea stall, most bakeries and restaurants too. However, there is nothing like homemade Masala Vada, made with chana dal, fennel seeds, onions and other readily available ingredients like curry leaves and green chillies. Prepare it on a weekend, and you will find the whole family flocking around the stove for more of these hot and spicy vadas.
Serve with Coconut Chutney or Tomato Chutney .
- Soak the chana dal in enough water in a deep bowl and keep aside for 2 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Remove ¼ cup of soaked and drained chana dal in a bowl and keep aside.
- Blend the remaining chana dal, fennel seeds and kashmiri dry red chillies in a mixer to a coarse mixture without using any water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add all the remaining ingredients, including the soaked and drained chana dal and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 16 equal portions and shape each portion into 50 mm. (2”) diameter round flat vada.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, a few vadas at a time on a medium flame, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately with coconut chutney.
Nutrient values per vada
|Vitamin A||84.2 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||1.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||15.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.