Puran Poli, Maharashtrian Puran Poli Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 40 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 82919 times
No festive menu in Maharashtra is complete without Puran Poli! Whole wheat flour polis with a succulent stuffing of cooked and sweetened chana dal are a delight to bite into, especially when they are hot and fresh off the tava, resplendent with the rich aroma of ghee.
You won’t need to use ghee to cook the Puran Poli, but it is a must to brush the poli with ghee after cooking and also to serve with another dollop of ghee! Enjoy the perfectly balanced sweetness and amazing texture of this traditional Maharashtrian delicacy.
Add your private note
Puran Poli, Maharashtrian Puran Poli Recipe recipe - How to make Puran Poli, Maharashtrian Puran Poli Recipe
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 4 puran poli
- Combine the cooked chana dal and sugar in a broad non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes till the sugar melts completely, while stirring continuously.
- Transfer the mixture to a plate and allow it to cool completely.
- Add the cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and saffron colour and mix well.
- Divide the stuffing into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- Combine the whole wheat flour and ghee in a bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a muslin cloth and allow it to rest for atleast 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into an oblong shape roti of 100 mm. (4”) using a little whole wheat flour.
- Place a portion of the filling on one end of the roti and fold the other end over it. Gently press the sides to seal the filling.
- Trim the sides using a sharp small bowl and discard the trimmed sides.
- Gently press it from the centre and roll it into a 125 mm. (5”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook it till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more puran polis.
- Just before serving reheat the puran polis and smear a little ghee on each puran poli.
- Serve immediately with ghee.
Puran Poli Video, Maharashtrian Puran Poli by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per puran poli
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.