Chana Dal and Coconut Puranpoli
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 32 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 32830 times
Puranpoli is a traditional maharashtrian dish, and variants of it are made all over the country. It is a wholesome and delicious snack made of chana dal and coconut sweetened with jaggery and flavoured mildly with spices like elaichi. While it is festive fare, it can be made any day when you feel like making something special.
- Combine the plain flour and ghee in a bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Cover and keep the dough aside for 15 minutes.
- Soak the chana dal in enough hot water for 2 hours.
- Drain, add ½ cup of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Drain and discard the water and keep the chana dal aside.
- Once cooled, combine the chana dal and jaggery and blend in a mixer to a smooth mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into a broad non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Switch off the flame, add the cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and coconut and mix well.
- Transfer the filling into a plate and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
- Divide the filling into 6 equal portions and keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 125 mm. (5”) diameter circle, using a little plain flour for rolling.
- Place a portion of the filling in the centre of the roti, bring all the sides together, press a little and roll again into a circle of 150 mm. (6”) diameter, using a little plain flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), cook the puranpoli till it turns brown in colour from both the sides.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 to make 5 more puranpolis.
- Smear a little ghee on each puranpoli and serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per puranpoli
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.