Palak Chana Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 112 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 123269 times
A maharashtrian delight, tweaked to boost the health value! while palak adds vitamin a to this dish, chana dal adds nutrients like calcium, iron, folic acid, zinc and fibre. Ensure that you do not overcook chana dal, as it should be separate and not mashed.
- Combine the chana dal, salt, turmeric powder and ¾ cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat a deep non-stick pan on a medium flame and when hot, add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida and dry roast for about 30 seconds or till the mustard seeds crackle.
- Lower the flame, add the green chilli and onions and dry roast till they turn light brown in colour. Sprinkle a little water if the onions start burning.
- Add the spinach and dry roast for 1 to 2 more minutes while stirring continuously.
- Add the cooked dal, jaggery, chilli powder and little salt and mix well.
- Add ½ cup of water, mix well and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve hot
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.