Urad Dal and Vegetable Appe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 42 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 22036 times
Urad dal, generally the basic ingredient for vadas, takes on the form of appe in this delicious recipe!
A batter of soaked urad is perked up with spice powders and grated veggies before being cooked in an appe mould till crisp and golden in colour.
Since this irresistible Urad Dal and Vegetable Appe does not have rice in it, it does not require fermentation and can be made immediately upon grinding. So, you just need to plan in the soaking time.
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in enough water in a deep bowl for 2 hours. Drain well.
- Combine the urad dal and approx. ½ cup of water in a mixer and blend till smooth.
- Transfer the urad dal mixture into a deep bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Heat an appe mould on a medium flame and grease it using a little oil.
- Pour 1 tbsp of the batter into each mould and put little oil on the sides and on it. Cook till the lower surface becomes golden brown and then turn each appe upside down using a fork so as to cook them from the other side using a little oil.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more appes.
- Serve immediately with sambhar and coconut chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per plate
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.